The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ulster rear wing detail
Anyone got any comments on this image and the structural attachments for rear wing and exhaust?
.png   Ulster rear exhaust.png (Size: 466.67 KB / Downloads: 332)
.png   Ulster rear mudguard.png (Size: 378.07 KB / Downloads: 333)
Is this an Australian car/photograph? It's certainly not a standard Longbridge-built EA.

As to your question, the sky-hooks are just out of shot...
dont know - its on the austin7ulster site homepage. But dash detail suggests such, doesnt it?
What are skyhooks, Mike?! I'm presuming there is a single attachment where the hood attachment would be - and the the exhaust and wing are connected at the back...
This is not an Ulster.
It's an early version of the Harker special before the crash.
(02-04-2022, 08:21 AM)JonE Wrote: dont know - its on the austin7ulster site homepage. But dash detail suggests such, doesnt it?
What are skyhooks, Mike?! I'm presuming there is a single attachment where the hood attachment would be - and the the exhaust and wing are connected at the back...

Hi Jon

Sky hooks ……Imaginary supports often used when conventional fastenings defy attachment  Big Grin.

I used them in my structural engineering days to confound my boss and confuse architects!

Cheers

Howard
Aye, we used to keep our sky hooks in the box with the long weights, buckets of blast, tartan paint, log-holes, the key for the keelson and the glass nails...
Pepy's Diary makes numerous references to his joiners who were slow in starting work on his new house because the were waiting for the "scantlins" to be delivered. It took him six weeks to discover that the said scantlings were not critical pieces of equipment or materials but dimensions...
Sky hooks are a French mechanism that, whilst not clearly visible, prevent a 2CV getting any further over onto its side than gently rubbing the door handles. They can also be used by a certain VSCC auto test driver to return his Seven to all four of its wheels before crossing the finishing line.
(02-04-2022, 08:26 AM)Henry Harris Wrote: This is not an Ulster.
It's an early version of the Harker special before the crash.

Sorry - I was using it in a slack derogatory sense! And car irrelevant (other than Harker may be documented).
The questions still apply. Are they perhaps attached to a side-side cross beam?
I understand this photo may have been taken in the Harry Ferguson garage in Belfast, somewhat off topic but I’d love to know where could I find out more on the history of this car, was this the 1929 Super Sports
 Special?
(02-04-2022, 12:31 PM)Belinni Wrote: I understand this photo may have been taken in the Harry Ferguson garage in Belfast, somewhat off topic but I’d love to know where could I find out more on the history of this car, was this the 1929 Super Sports
 Special?

I don't think this is Ferguson's garage in Belfast. 
The car is the Super Sports VP 1819 after its 3rd or 4th modification and re-registered VK 5610 still with Austin 7 chassis but with V8 engine and non Austin front axle.
I made copy negs of Harker's photo album for an article in the 750 Bulletin, November 1982, where more info can be found.
This is the whole image. The original Super Sports dash can be made out.

Front view...

After the crash...