The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centenary Activity?
Seems there might be various extra-curricular activities being organised for the Centenary?  This one caught my attention: 
(Btw wasn't Eva Fay the model for the Rolls Royce 'Spirit of Ecstasy?')

.jpg   Flier for Morton.jpg (Size: 81.3 KB / Downloads: 289)
I knew this post was going to appear.
The very well known Welsh Historian, Ffwl Ebrill, will be giving a talk later this morning. The subject will be decided either in a darkened room with the aid of Tarot cards in that famous Radnorshire pub The Clutch and Codpiece , often used by trials drivers and any surviving bouncers, or by exchange of telegrams.
Colin
I've always thought/read that the model for 'The Spirit of Ecstasy' was the 'secretary' (nudge-nudge) of the then Lord Montague (he of Beaulieu...), by name Ellie Thornton?  I also seem to remember that she may have perished on the Titanic or somesuch.
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish

.jpg   crpooed gambles.jpg (Size: 89 KB / Downloads: 178) .

Now let's be serious about extra curricular activities. Numbers of people booking for the Cotswold Historic Hillclimb Tour are familiar with the area, and know some of the hills. Sevens whizz up, well Ulsters and specials do, and last week one Morgan went up Gambles in second gear, as a Trojan claims to have done though time keepers had gone to the pub before closing time so did not record it. As Gambles seems to be so easy, yesterday we were out organising the re-enactment of traditional downhill traffic, to make matters more exciting. What fun you can look forward to. We are also hoping to have a performance of Olga Neuwirth's jazz orchestration of Alban Berg's Lulu on the terrace of the Rising Sun Hotel, or possibly a klezmer band giving extracts from The Merry Widow inside if it is raining.
Colin
I have just looked at the Beaulieu website and there is a comprehensive article about Eleanor Thornton which is well worth a read. She apparently died in 1915 when on a ship torpedoed in the Meditarranean.
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
At one of the VSCC Anniversary Rallies held at the Three Counties Showground in Malvern a group of young members organised an (unofficial) evening side show by the 'Austin 7 Display Team'.  This was based on the Royal Signal Corps Motorcycle Display team that used to feature at the Royal Military Tatoo.  I didn't witness the Malvern display but I understand that it was very impressive!
The best side show of that VSCC week was the demonstration run of cyclecars up the Old Wych in Mavern, a fearsome hill with a gradient of about 1 in 2 where it joins the main road.