The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vertical miller for sale - any offers
Here's a chance for an impecunious enthusiast to obtain a most useful vertical miller at what will be a rock-bottom price. It's stood unused for 10 years so needs a jolly good clean - but otherwise appears complete. It has to go so....
https://store.lathes.co.uk/adverts/for-s...mill-drill
(31-03-2022, 11:50 AM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: Here's a chance for an impecunious enthusiast to obtain a most useful vertical miller at what will be a rock-bottom price. It's stood unused for 10 years so needs a jolly good clean - but otherwise appears complete. It has to go so....
https://store.lathes.co.uk/adverts/for-s...mill-drill

That's really a very good deal for someone to expand their useful workshop capabilities.
That is a useful bit of kit and at very good price Tony
Black Art Enthusiast
As a "mill/drill" the co-ordinate drilling facility is incredibly useful. No more struggling to hold a machine vice on the drill table; on this machine, it's clamped it down and all you need to do is whizz the handles around until the job is exactly beneath the drill bit.
Have to agree with you Tony.Since putting an x-y table on my heavy vertical drill I've never used the drill table,now swung behind.
Although that one is only the economy model the head will be much more substantial than a drilling head for milling work.
Don't know how a serious diy/car person can do without one along with a lathe ,of course.
Surprised no one has gone for it.
Not only an incredibly useful piece if equipment in any workshop, the fact that it comes complete with a very nice Abwood vice it is  very good value indeed.
Try and get any Abwood vice at a reasonable price these days -they are like hen's teeth.
I wouldn't be without my ZX25 mill/drill along with my lathe, although a Myford has its limitations when doing Automotive work.
Bob
(01-04-2022, 11:09 AM)Austin in the Shed Wrote: Have to agree with you Tony.Since putting an x-y table on my heavy vertical drill I've never used the drill table,now swung behind.
Although that one is only the economy model the head will be much more substantial than a drilling head for milling work.
Don't know how a serious diy/car person can do without one along with a lathe ,of course.
Surprised no one has gone for it.

Dave

Maybe the enlightened amongst us already have such stuff, and the rest have yet to see the light!

C
(01-04-2022, 11:28 AM)Bob Kneale Wrote: Not only an incredibly useful piece if equipment in any workshop, the fact that it comes complete with a very nice Abwood vice it is  very good value indeed.
Try and get any Abwood vice at a reasonable price these days -they are like hen's teeth.
I wouldn't be without my ZX25 mill/drill along with my lathe, although a Myford has its limitations when doing Automotive work.
Bob
I started off with an ML 7 a long time ago,vertical slide for limited milling work but have to say everything was hard work,too small a table too little slide travel etc too small a spindle bore.Bought a Super 7. Better tailstock for drilling,countershaft clutch and fitted a second hand gearbox and taper turning attachment from another super 7 I bought so in the end as good as a Myford could get.
I do admire those Old model engineers who made superb models on them,I spoke to one who'd machined a 3" traction engine cylinder on one.
However if I was going to advise someone looking to buy a lathe I'd say maybe a Boxford for most small /medium work,a bit bigger,heavier and capable of more useful? Work.
I still have my Super 7 and use it for certain jobs,lathes are like lawnmowers,You can't get one that does everything.
If it was closer to me in Cornwall I would happily have it to go with my Harrison M300.
The shipping logistics and cost is the problem for me.
I have access to a mill at work in one workshop, and there are two other mills in the machine shop which I am not alllowed to play with.
But having one at home is much more useful !
I would love to have it but am away from tomorrow for two weeks so can't collect or arrange anyone to pick up.