The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much oil is enough.......?
If you are on an organised tour with other Austin 7's I don't think anyone will see you stuck for a bit of oil? I would expect every car on the tour to be carrying some spare oil.   Austin 7's will run with very little oil in the sump, I am always more concerned about carrying a spare gallon of fuel.
Hi Denis,

Spelt your name right this time —— re jangling nerves, just remember that silly thing about traveling in hope rather than expectation. Always works.
Do a few decent runs to build confidence and with a bit of luck any real issues will show up before you set off on the big trip.

Charles
Furthest driven in one go is about a 45 mile round trip, regularly run 15 - 30 miles at a time tho’ and try to run her every week, spare fuel can already amongst the many spares compiled!
Then I would suggest that you undertake some slighty lengthier journeys, Denis, to ensure both the car and driver are prepared. As a reminder, here is the itinerary (which excludes your travel fromm home to Dover, of course)

Calais to Arras (1 night - 62 miles)
Arras to Laon (1 night - 74 miles)
Laon to Metz (1 night - 148 miles)
Metz to Freudenstadt (4 nights - 176 miles)
Freudenstadt to Alsace (3 nights - 68 miles)
Alsace to Nancy (1 night - 78 miles)
Nancy to Sedan (1 night - 130 miles)
Sedan to Dinant (2 nights - 56 miles)
Dinant to Calais (1 night - 158 miles)

hth....
The garage (T.E. Jackson & Son) next to where I lived in Thornton-le-Dale in the early 1960s had specially made crates to take the empty oil bottles, one for XL and one for Castrolite (?) and woe betide anyone who put the wrong bottle in a crate! There was a sloping drip tray with a lead-off into a can which the proprietor kept for his own use. I used to go and hang around in there "helping" and even though I was under age I occasionally filled petrol.
I got jobs like sweeping up and scraping the asbestos dust out of brake drums...followed by blasting out with the air-blower. Health and Safety didn't exist in those far-off early "10 year test" days. I don't remember actually learning that much but something must have stuck and I seem to have survived it so far, touchwood!
(29-03-2022, 07:03 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: The garage (T.E. Jackson & Son) next to where I lived in Thornton-le-Dale in the early 1960s had  specially made crates to take the empty oil bottles, one for XL and one for Castrolite (?) and woe betide anyone who put the wrong bottle in a crate! There was a sloping drip tray with a lead-off into a can which the proprietor kept for his own use. I used to go and hang around in there "helping" and even though I was under age I occasionally filled petrol.
I got jobs like sweeping up and scraping the asbestos dust out of brake drums...followed by blasting out with the air-blower. Health and Safety didn't exist in those far-off early "10 year test" days. I don't remember actually learning that much but something must have stuck and I seem to have survived it so far, touchwood!

Duncan, us Yorkshiremen were being environmental when we didn't waste the last drops of oil.

But I've never found out how old is 'under-age' to sell petrol. I was just being given an evening job selling petrol when the boss realised I might not be old enough. I was sixteen that week, but was 16 allowed? He gave me the job, and I kept my 747 sidevalve Reliant topped up from all the drips left in the oil tins.