The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RP GAS control won't control
My 34 RP had been heavily "Rubyised" and so I have put the original type of IGN and GAS controls in place.  The only (so far) problem is that the gas control is unable to achieve any throttle setting because the throttle spring on the dashboard is stronger.  Should I put a heavy spring in the GAS control lever to create enough friction to overcome the throttle spring, or have I done something wrong? I believe that the throttle spring is the correct one.
All advice welcome.
Thanks Graham
Slowly rebuilding a '34 RP
Graham, have you adjusted the friction screw under/on the column lever? It should have a spring and brass plunger which engages on the edge of the chrome disc and stops it from retuning to closed position.
I have adjusted it Peter, but it does not grip the disk well enough.  I will try a stronger spring.  Otherwise I will simply use the choke as it has a throttle linkage.  I have seen one car with a clothes peg on the choke.  I also do that with my 31 12/6.
Actually I can't quite see the use of the gas control in my case anyway.
Graham
Hi Graham
i also use an old style clothes peg (from my gran's peg bag) on my 33 RP choke pull otherwise the spring just opens it.
I have also wondered what the point of the gas lever really is. Apologies if stating obvious but remembering of course that its operation is very different from the choke pull, as the choke controls mixture, restricting air, and the gas lever controls the throttle/butterfly and so the overall flow of correctly mixed fuel/air. So using the choke pull as a mechanism to run the engine faster isn't going to go well.

Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
I had frankly not thought of the gas lever being used for general running - I assumed it might be used for a fast idle to allow an engine to keep warm on a cold day once the choke was not necessary.
I am looking for a strong spring...
Graham
i use it as part of my 'patter' to new passengers, the opening windscreen being early aircon and the gas lever cruise control...oh and of course anti-lock brakes come as standard...
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Use for driving is limited unless one leg is out of action. Easy to overlook and press the clutch...
Is useful for keeping the engine running when cold, before interconnected choke and throttle butterfly. A somewhat involved mechanism cf simple interconnection. 
My father always sat his folded tradesmans wooden 3 ft ruler behind the choke knob until warmed up.
On my 400 mile journeys between Cambridge and Dundee University in the '60s I used the 'Gas' on the A1 dual carriageway. Set it to full throttle and then I could put both feet on top of the gearbox where it was warmer.
Jim
Thanks everyone.  A stronger spring and it works.
I threw away the one that came from a ball point pen...
I sometimes get cramp in my right foot when I am driving my A7 so the hand throttle is very handy to use until the cramp disappears after a short while. Strange, because I never get cramp when driving a modern car.