The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
steering box thrust washer (lower)
Good afternoon folks  i have question, can some one enlighten me on the reason for the six segments on the end of the steering column ,the segments are scored and so is the bush in the bottom of the box ,should they be fixed or move in the thrust , and does anyone know of how to repair or replace this bearing
(07-06-2022, 03:37 PM)John brunsdon Wrote: Good afternoon folks  i have question, can some one enlighten me on the reason for the six segments on the end of the steering column ,the segments are scored and so is the bush in the bottom of the box ,should they be fixed or move in the thrust , and does anyone know of how to repair or replace this bearing

Smile
Hello John

If you look at the previous post in this thread from Dennis Nicholas, he explains how the lower thrust washer BM42 is peened onto the worm gear at the bottom of the column. The six segments allow fixing at 6 places. From memory there is another brass (?) washer in the steering box onto which BM42 bears. I wouldn't expect this washer to rotate, but don't know if or how it is fixed to the casing.

Due to the worm design, the thrust is taken on either the upper or lower worm thrust washer depending on whether you are steering left or right.

If your steering box is badly worn, unless you have a well equipped workshop it may be cheaper to source a usable secondhand replacement box rather than spend money with an engineering shop to fabricate parts. Only you can decide.
List of Spare Parts publication 353p shows the parts in much greater detail (the later drawings are rubbish).

PL_353P.pdf (a7ca.org) pages 45-48

The bottom thrust washer BM 42 (attached to the bottom of the worm) runs on the threaded brass top hat bush (called the Control Tube Socket BM 47) that sits in the bottom of the Steering Box, held in place with large nut BM 44 on the bottom of the Box.

This bush also holds the Carburettor Control Tube BM 73 which is a drive fit in the bush bore.

I spent many 'happy' hours setting up a 1929 Box some years ago.