The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radius arm question
Hello again chaps
Could anyone tell me the thread on the radius arm? I think that it needs a little tidy up with a dia, as the nut only go's on around one turn. Maybe a run through the nut with a tap while I'm at it .. Early arm.. Confused
5/8” x 16 tpi
Would that be unc? Sorry I'm just a little slow.
No, Colin. It's an 'Admiralty' thread. Used on half shafts, crank shafts and radius arms. Dies and taps are available.

Steve
Thanks guys . Will have a look
Sorry - I did not make that clear, as Steve says, special thread.

A7 Components (David Cochrane), sell taps and dies.
just check it hasn't already been run over with a die that wasn't the right one! I found one arm that was odd and seem to remember finding that there was a close tpi that might have been used. Sorry can't remember more.
We've been looking at the radius arms from my grandson Henry's 1938 Ruby. A previous owner had hit them so hard when removing them that the threads, instead of being 5/8" x 16tpi, are now 3/4" x 22tpi. This is going to be a challenge!
Hi chaps. I spent around 5 hours with a needle file and managed to get the nut to go on.  Angel pwee!
Martin would an annular broach drill of the right internal diameter bring your thread back to size? Followed of course by a die, the engineers amongst us are invited to say why this is a ridiculous idea. My parachute is at the ready .