The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is this?
Can anyone tell me what this is?

I recognise it but can't place it.

Hood rest?
29 Chummy hood rest,missing its broken securing clip.
Looks like half of a scaffolding clamp to me.
(09-03-2022, 01:59 AM)Ian Dunford Wrote: 29 Chummy hood rest,missing its broken securing clip.

ah. Yes, thanks Ian!. 

It explains why it was wired to a chummy hood support and part of a chummy wing stay. 

One of these. Thats why it was familiar!.

That's the very thing Hedd.
Very interesting. My AD was missing anything like that. It had a rest for the frame to sit on, but was held in place only by the leather straps I had made. That looks a pretty substantial clip. The AG tourer similarly had no "mechanical" means of holding the frame down, just a rest. Neither car showed any evidence of such a clip on the inside of the cockpit coaming. It does look remarkably like a scaffolding clip though...possible marketing opportunity?
David,

I had Simon Laxton make me a hood bag for my chummy and the clips were something I raised with him, I don't think Simon was very familiar with cars with them which suggests that they were not fitted to all chummies.

Luckily I guess about the time Simon was making my hood bag a he had a chummy in with them fitted.

I sold a 1930 AE before buying my 1928 AD, that didn't have them. And that was a PITA to keep the hood irons tidily stowed. These clips certainly make life easier on that front, but they are finger trappers getting them out of the way as you fold up the hood down onto the rests.

Ian hinted that they may only be fitted to 1929 cars, I guess AD's like his.

Mine is a '29 model but made in October or November 1928.  We attended an event last year where there was another coil engined 1928 AD (front headlamps - plated cowl), it had an earlier chassis and car number than mine, it didn't have them fitted. David Cochrane I believe the owners are friends of yours. They live in Audlem.
I am just the 2nd owner and the car was registered July 1st 1929.
I'm certain they have always been in this particular car.
I'm guessing the rivet style fixing on the rusty example in Hedds photo is for a leather strap facing towards the car. This would act as a paint saving packer.