The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diff pinion thrust bearings
(11-03-2022, 01:22 PM)Nick Mayne Wrote: For Stuart I think if I used the wider race I could not push it into the casing past the current peg position because that would take the pinion gear with it from where it should be...that right?

Hi Nick, when you say wider race , I'm assuming that you mean the 3/4" wide 1" bore roller bearing? The reason that I suggested that the peg would/might need to be cut back is that the the rollers would be running near the edge of the track if it was not cut back (the modded peg would look something like a capital 'D' with the flat against the track edge) to get the rollers away from the substantial chamfer that cylindrical roller bearing outer tracks usually have at each side. It is the combination of the depth of the spacer and the width of the pinion bearing that will define the pinion position and therefore the maximum mesh -i.e. axial closeness to the crownwheel centreline- If you find that your new pinion is still too far out/away from the CW centre with no shims, making/getting made a slightly deeper spacer will fix that. Obviously, skimming the spacer would be the solution if you find you need a shedload of shims to get a sensible mesh.
I now have a sleeve fitted to the new shaft to replicate the 1.125" diameter for the original style roller bearing. Can anyone advise me how tight to fix the left hand thread nut which clamps the angular contact bearings? I could apply an appropriate load to the end of a spanner to achieve a torque figure.
As tight as you can get it, many pinions are damaged/destroyed when this nut comes loose causing the pinion to wander in towards the Crownwhee centreline. To allow me to get it really tight I clamp the pinion in a pipe vice when I am tightening this nut -I also Loctite it rather than use the soft tab washer that the factory used.
(08-03-2022, 06:57 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: If sumwun can explain the 1930 diag would be interested pse.

I have tried to redraw the rather poor Factory drawing.

The thrust bearing housing is a tube extension of the torque tube which fits into the differential housing.

An internal thread at the pinion end takes the ring nut to clamp the thrust bearings. 

This was better in some ways than the later design which has no adjustable axial clamping of the bearing outer rings.
Thanks Tony

In the original diagrm the sleeve appeared separate from the torque tube ...and not continuous! it appears surprising thin.
Although not shown presumably adjustment is by shims as later. I was puzzling how the thread could be the adjustment?

All the other depictions, as with many Seven diagrams,  are self evident, although it is surprisng how few seem to closely study them. Prime  example the hub diagrams. Admittedly matching diagram to car can be challenging.

A component for which diagrams somewhat lacking are the dynamos, although Woodrow and exploded diags kindly supplied on here assist.