The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Ruby battery fixing
Photo of my '37 Ruby for reference.
Like most cars rad plates, wheel clamp and battery strap were all missing when purchased , but have now got all three.
The battery strap came from a7c and fits the holes that are in the battery box with no modification, the rad plates from Oxford 7s and were fitted with some minor tin-bashing , and the wheel clamp was picked up from Beaulieu last year.    
GCD, Thanks for the photo I can see how my set up differs from yours, as I said I based mine on the set up there when it was purchased.
Does the speedo cable run down between your battery and offside battery box panel, so effectively is trapped between battery and box??
Interesting that that clamp should fit without modification, since your battery looks to be significantly smaller than originally fitted.
I have also seen clamps like the one John illustrated fitted to more than one Ruby so I quite believe likely to be factory equipment
Black Art Enthusiast
Exactly the same clamp and holes on my Ruby. I have added a triangular piece of 18mm ply vertically below the speedo cable to stop it getting trapped by the battery. I found that without it the inner of the speedo cable was snagging.
New Ruby battery clamps have been available for some time - see BW984 here: www.a7c.co.uk/spares.php#electrical
I have to say the idea of the Speedo cable being clamped between the battery and box does not appeal, even if it is correct. Think I would need to swop the cabling from the battery quite a bit to to accommodate it as well. So think I am going to leave the cabling as is and make up a strap to tie the battery to the front panel with a couple of bolts and utilising some rubber strips to protect damage to the battery and any chaffing.
Thanks for the information folks much appreciated.
On our original early Mk.1 Ruby the speedometer cable goes through the bulkhead below the battery box. The two small holes for the proper clamp appear to be in the correct place - but is no large hole to allow a speedo cable through. Does anyone else have a Ruby configured like that?
(07-03-2022, 11:11 PM)David Cochrane Wrote: New Ruby battery clamps have been available for some time - see BW984 here: www.a7c.co.uk/spares.php#electrical
Thanks! Just ordered one....
It should be fairly simple to solve the speedo cable issue by using a suitable piece of packing between the battery and the offside of the battery box. The new style battery casings usually have a moulding at the base to allow for clamping to a battery carrier and that may give sufficient stand-off anyway, but a belt & braces approach is always worth considering.