The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Export Ruby.
Now here's one for the sleuths, an export Ruby dated December 1938 on the reverse but where is it? 

The registration number looks to be a single letter - possibly 'A' - followed by four numbers. That combined with the background and I'll guess Ceylon (now Sri Lanka).

.jpg   Ceylon Tea Co.JPG (Size: 78.87 KB / Downloads: 451)
It's hot the ruby vents are open and the foliage is tropical with palms. The wandering cow is unpenned possibly sacred ?. Is the terracotta roof tiling common in coastal shrilanka ?
This is described as a traditional house in Sri Lanka: similar tiles and overhanging eves to those in the Ruby pic.

.jpg   118580564_3370349266522574_5640757297222556110_n.jpg (Size: 209.74 KB / Downloads: 375)
I think the architecture may be of Portuguese influence somewhere in the south of India. 

Coconut palms, wandering cow.  

Goa, Malabar, Madras or Ceylon? 

In 2005 whilst working in Goa I found a shop in the market at Panjim still sign written as Austin agents and suppliers of Austin spare parts.

Unfortunately the shop was closed, it was Sunday and I didn't get a chance to go back.
The car appears to have 16 inch wheels with modern style rims. I have always associated these just with the later model. The lack of guttering on the house a sort of third world feature.
The 16" wheels were certainly fitted to early export Rubies, and I have seen late RPs with them, though no guarantee they were originally so fitted. This is a 1935 left-hand-drive Ruby (note no trafficators):

.jpg   1935 Export Ruby.jpg (Size: 99.68 KB / Downloads: 269)
The roof tiles in the original photo look more like Roman tiles than the factory made ones shown later:

[Image: stock-photo-ancient-traditional-mediterr...507114.jpg]

Perhaps it's somewhere like Mauritius?

Is the animal perhaps a pony rather than a cow?
the hind quarters slope steeply more like a cow, the tail end is fluffy, not clear about the upper portion. Film quality or local breed?

1936 Export ARQ 3-main LHD. 16" Wheels.
I only ended up with four of them. Mike