The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby rant
Well after spending alot of time, money and heartache on my 1936 Ruby I'm starting to get alittle ticked off as nearly every joint, bush, rubber, and linkage in fact most items seems to be worn beyond repair or need a lot of work to get it back to it desired functionality. If I bought the car as a ground up project then I would have no complaints. However the old rogue that I bought it off must have seen be coming; as I could have bought any other Ruby for the same price, and had a car that needed a small amount of on going work as they all do to keep the running well. After having the front axle sorted by Ruairidh Dunford ( great job!) new shackels, new bushes, new u bolts, etc... painting la la la .. The time arrived to put it all together. I had new wheel bearing for the wheels and was quite keen to get the car off the axle stands and get the engine back it.. Okay, so the leafspring rapped in desmo tape.... In.... Shackles yes!! Axle mounted with stub axle's in place with new king pins, hey great!! Stand back and admire!! Well that's really starting to come together..
I welded up the holes in the radius arms as they were no longer round, ground back, and re-drilled, painted and ordered the cup, spring, bolt and nut.. I tried to fit them yesterday and GUESS WHAT!!!! I've got two offside arms. Just great!! Can't make this stuff up.        
Ruby Rant over!!
Angry  Undecided

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You wouldn't be the first to have mismatched radius arms, Colin, even the car of one of the best Austin 7 fettlers I knew (sadly no longer with us) turned out to have a mismatched pair when we did some light fettling for his wife after his passing. It's an easy mistake to make, if you are not looking for it...
Colin, I assume it is not a Semi Girling braked axle. If it was the Semi Girling it would have the heavier radius arms with the extra bolt hole above the main spigot location
if its 1936, is it a Mk2, so the radius arms are wrong anyway !!!!! ?
Depends which axle is fitted. Not necessarily the one it left the factory with.
Jim
(06-03-2022, 12:50 PM)flywheel1935 Wrote: if its 1936, is it a Mk2, so the radius arms are wrong anyway !!!!! ?

The Girling brakes didn't come in until July 1936, so there's a 50% chance it would have the earlier brakes!
At least you didn't do what I did...wound the nut off one, it went stiff...kept on going and the thread snapped! heavy handed left handidness!

Arthur
Early 1936 mark one Ruby, 2 bearing engine. one year only lozenge shaped backplate. Not semi Girling..

(06-03-2022, 12:50 PM)flywheel1935 Wrote: if its 1936, is it a Mk2, so the radius arms are wrong anyway !!!!! ?

Nope 1923-1935 front axle..
The Girling brakes didn't come in until July 1936, so there's a 50% chance it would have the earlier brakes!
[/quote]
My 1935 ARQ Ruby has girlings !!!! so guess not original axle, maybe I got Mr Smiths ????
My 1933 Box Saloon has a Girling front axle - as I fitted it. Let us not forget that our cars are pushing 90 years of age and all manner of things have happened to them over the years...