The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does the Team think?
Keeping on the factory photo theme, I've recently been sent this image which is reputed to have been taken in Longbridge. I dont *really* have any objections to that assertion but I do wonder under what circumstances the cars are there? They may be used models, as the two we can see are already registered, which I would have thought odd for brand new cars about to leave the factory. It appears not to be part of the production line either, as there is no paraphenalia around the cars. Is it, perhaps, some sort of warranty repair bay or trouble shooting area? There clearly is some form of 'process' going on as all the cars on the upper level to the left of the photo have theor bonnets removed and held ina purpose built holder on the railing...

But I am really not convinced of any of that and am open other ideas...

Anyone?

Holland Park? Austin had a large service and repair centre there.
I would suggest this is the service and repair department which the booklets of the same name, listing charges, refer.
as not all the cars are 7s, and they are on a raised work area to make oil changes etc easier. it must be a service area.

tony
UJ 762 is a Shropshire registration from the second half of 1932, whilst WD 4994 is a Warwickshire number from early 1933, so a Birmingham location is more likely than Holland Park. the building is quite substantial, and the construction is not dissimilar to other Longbridge buildings, so I would go with Ruairidh's suggestion.
lights are the same as the Gallery of the month photo....
It seems incredible that manual workers wore white shirts with tie. I suppose in the days before wives worked they filled the time scrubbing shirts. and washing ties. I used to think they dressed for the photo or emptied out the office staff, but have seen so many such photos seems they really did dress that way. I have seen photos of garage staff here taken in the 1960s before uniforms and the safety fetish became common.The degree of casual scruffiness and dirtiness is intriguing.
HI BOB,
Having worked in garages in the 50s and 60s in NZ your last comments are B/S .
In any working environment there is all ways going some that need to do better.
Making sweeping statements is just Stupid and not what this forum is all about

Colin
NZ
When I started work in the printing industry in the late 1960s everyone wore a shirt and tie regardless of how dirty their job was.
Ah yes, Bob, safety fetish. What’s a little asbestosis now and then, or testicular cancer from cutting oils on lathes? Deafness from big presses or riveters, no worse than that wholly self induced lung cancer from smoking cigarettes on the shop floor. Safety equipment on grinders is just for hairdressers, them were the good old days.