The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
19 inch tyre preference please
I'm just having some 17 inch wheels respoked/new rims to 19 inch for my special, so what are preferences re tyres please?

Blockley, Longstone or Avon?

Arthur
I Had 4 Blockley Tyres 19" fitted 3 months ago. All seems to be ok and fairly priced.
I’ve had Avon’s in the past and they have been excellent, I’m currently on a set of new Blockleys and no problems so far, good value and the car rides and handles nicely...for a Seven!
The Longstones work well too.
Jim
I am running my RP on Avon Triple Duties. No problems so far and they seem to last quite well.
Avons last very well indeed. Like decades. They are not very nice to fit, very stiff sidewalls. 

The Blockleys are soft, grip very well, but they wear out quick. Easy peasy to fit. Really soft sidewalls.

The Longstones seem to be somewhere in the middle in terms of compound. They have very good tread depth vs the Blockley. And are still nice to fit.
I fitted Longstones to my cup model a few year ago, it had previously had Avon Sidecars, and i noticed a vast improvement in handling etc

Like so many things, technology and parts avalability has moved on, and so what was once the only real option 30 years ago [The Avon Sidecar tyre] it is no longer as good as most of its modern counterparts.

What puts me off the blockley tyre is reports of the fast wearing compound but more so the massive text on the side wall.
It was said to me the other day that Blockley and Longstone effectively come out of the same mould but that Blockley ar a softer compound than Longstone and are more designed for 'Sporting' use whereas the Longstone, with slightly harder compound are better suited to road use.

Probably, you pays yer money and takes yer choice
The Blockley and Longstone tyres both have the same 'Vintage' 3-stud tread pattern, but they are definitely from different moulds - the way the outer stud forms the side-wall is completely different.

.jpg   blockley.JPG (Size: 24.04 KB / Downloads: 408)
.jpg   longstone.JPG (Size: 20.15 KB / Downloads: 407)
They don't come out of the same mould. The mould for the Longstones was one that Dougal commissioned when he started his project to market his own brand of tyres. The first sample he received had 'Longstone' in large letters on the side. In period, the name of the manufacturer wasn't shown large on tyres and he therefore had the mould changed to show 'Longstone' at a more period correct size. I have Longstones on all my wheels, at 25psi they're super on the road, at 35/40 psi they're super on the track. They wear well, look period correct and, importantly, are designed and constructed as a car tyre rather than a motorcycle or sidecar tyre. The latter were all we had at one time. We've now moved on from there.

Steve