The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering yoke play and steering stiffness.
1. Reference the attached spare parts list I have some vertical play when BM82 is fitted to BM92. I have a new bush there. I don't think it will affect the steering but would one normally put a spacer in there? If so would a mild steel washer be ok as i do not have any hardened items that would fit? There is not a spacer shown on this parts list.
2. Having rebuilt the steering box a few years ago and only a few miles ago. with the car jacked up the steering wheel is easy to turn.
Also with the weight on two greased pads it is relatively easy. However when maneuvering on the ground I have to use two hands to steer the car and turn it round etc. Of course I expect a big difference but it seems excessive. Any suggestions ---- toe in, camber,castor or anything else????

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi Nick,

A little up and down clearance there isn't unusual. You can fit an ordinary shim or washer if you've one thin enough but it will work OK without anything. Having no side to side play is more important.

The steering is heavy when stationary. Try only turning when the car is moving, even if only creeping along. This also helps avoid loading up all the steering joints promoting grease squeeze out and wear.

I hope that helps, Dave
When I fitted the Blockley tires to my Cup model I found the tyre pressure was critical to balancing heaviness of the steering against directional stability of the car. In the saloon this is more evident as the steering is noticeably heavier at the same tyre pressure on the blockleys.
On the heavier cars Seven steering is too fragile to maneouvre stationary. If wedged in best to get out and pull the wheels lock to lock by hand. Tugging straightens the track rod and fatigues the arms.
Thanks folks; sounds like it is normal. Unfortunately I have to manoeuvre back and forth over a couple of feet several times to get out of the garage. So it sounds as if I need a second wife so wheels can be pushed from either side.
when I had that problem I used a trolley jack and pulled the car around by the handle, these days wheel dollys with casters are available, better than a single point lift.
BM91 and BM92 have to be set up perfectly parallel or they will cause excessive wear and binding
A twisted axle cause them to be miss aligned.
Put a long rod through the ends and check by eye.