The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyre fitting
Hello people
I have a few tyres to change.
Always used fairy a while ago but seem to remember this can cause rust or other problems?
Is it worth buying a lubricant?
Regards
             Tim
I think Steve Jones pointed out some time back that domestic washing up liquid contained salt as well as other things that whilst might help in the short term, causes corrosion in the long term. There are proper lubricants about, but the last time I changed a tyre I just gave the beads a quick spray with silicone. It went on a treat, without levers. That was a 19" tyre though.
I never use lubricant other than spit as a last resort. However this is usually on 19" tyres as per Reckers and they are relatively easy.
As has often been said, warmth makes an enormous difference. In the summer I stand the tyres in direct sunlight, in winter I use the propane space heater and when tyres are warm they are a lot more supple, so much so that you can "walk " them on with boot heels.
The most difficult part of the operation is getting the valve through the hole past a tricky wall/well gap and I recommend a neat little device which screws into the valve stem allowing you to haul on the handle attached to a Bowden cable to pull it through.
In the past I have dropped in to my local tyre fitting shop and asked, very nicely, if they could spare a little of their magic white goo. They always have and I have found it very helpful. I would imagine the trickier thing just at the moment, is the ambient temperature. I always try and do such a task in the summer and leave the tyres in the conservatory for a while to get them nice and warm and supple...
The best thing to use is soap. They sell tubs of tyre fitting soap, the one I have must be 20 years old, but ordinary household soap works too. I don’t mean soapy water mix it to a thick toothpaste like consistency and apply with a brush.
Alan Fairless
Lubricant here:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184066910650

Never tried it, but it looks the proper stuff.

Attached Files
.jpg   lube.JPG (Size: 61.93 KB / Downloads: 389)
When I was a lad I had a Saturday job at our local tyre fitters. One of my jobs was to apply soap to the new tyres. We used "LUX" I seem to remember!
I would strongly recommend that you try talcum powder

Absolutely marvellous when fitting tyres.

Just be careful if you tread them on with crocs on...  lets just say it makes them very slippery!
Thanks for the repley
Makes a lot of sense
Can't beat a squirt of Mr Sheen. Lovely and slipery, and won't rust the rims.