The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re assembling rear brake shoes.
Hello all, I have a 1935 Mk1 Ruby and I am trying to refit the rear brake shoes having already done the fronts. To do the fronts I removed the hubs and found it reasonably easy.  However to do the rears I would prefer not to remove the hubs or mess with the halfshafts as they are tight not having been touched in the last twenty years or more.  My question is does anybody have a way of doing this without removal of hubs etc.  I last did this some years ago and am sure I did it without hub removal when the bottom spring was hooked on to both shoes and they were stretched in to place. When  now I try this the spring will not pass between fulcrum pin and the hub.  Any suggestions appreciated.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
If your Ruby is the same as my 1937 Ruby then you will find that the springs have a small loop wound into them near their ends. To remove the spring, you make a hooked end on a piece of stiff wire. Then use that wire to hook the loops of the springs and remove them. Then the brake shoes can be removed.
If you remove an orange segment shaped piece off the hub, using a cutting disc, it will give you perfect access to the brake shoe springs and also the brake cams/bushes.
I wish I was as clever as you Ruairidh!
Ruairidh, the things you come up with. I wish I'd known that before. Now, do you also have a cunning way of properly aligning master splines thus allowing engine to be offered up to the gearbox whilst the latter stays in the car?
Hello all, Thank you for your replies and Ruairidh solution seem workable but will put the hub out of balance (Not sure if this would be an issue however.). Since putting my question on the forum I have found an article on the Bristol Austin Seven site on how to do the job with a self made tool. This tool pushes the spring rather than pulls it and will try this before butchering the hubs.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Make sure the adjuster is backed off fully , Then i put a large tywrap around the shoes to hold  them in place it makes it simple to hook the springs on.
Mine has steel shoes and i have found that the hooks on the spring are to long to fit in the location holes of the shoes, about a mm ground of makes it much easier to assemble.  
Andy
I picked up one of these brake spring pullers for a couple of quid at Beaulieu some years ago. Perfect for the job - and a lot more comfortable to use than a bit of bent wire.

Attached Files
.jpg   puller.JPG (Size: 18.54 KB / Downloads: 264)
I made something similar from a screwdriver.
+1 to Nick
Bought on Ebay. One of my better investments!