The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ulster details/Photographs
I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share some photos of original ulsters under construction/restoration/or in one piece. Any viewpoint wanted but I am specifically looking for photos to do with all aspects of the body and floor pan/firewall/boot/foot well. Ie floor corners, rivet details, swages and folds. This is for reference to construction methods and details. Any visual Information would be much appreciated... the more details I have the better (rivet counter syndrome). I understand this is a bit of an ask and some people may not want to share pictures for privacy and copyright reasons, but thought I would ask anyway. You can always email me or private message me.

Cheers folks.

Athanasius
Athanasius - if you do find owners ARE happy for things to be in the public domain, it would be easy tp pull these together in a similar way to the Nippy/65 archive or Gordon England material, so its searchable and findable by others in your situation. I found that with images which are still in private, largely un-promoted Flickr sites, those too could be hotlinked from a central mass of photos.. as they- if they still work - are often promoted on past forum threads and are in the public domain, just not google referenced. Ditto, for images which are requested to remain private, at least conduits to their existence can be provided.

It all costs nothing to do, just a bit of time. And then it's done forever... I am very conscious that we are all merely guardians of information and the more of it that can be translated in good time, the better!
Here are a couple of photos of DM 7155, taken over forty years ago; they probably don't show the detail you are looking for, but here goes:

.jpg   005.800.jpg (Size: 53.95 KB / Downloads: 1,379)

.jpg   DM.800.jpg (Size: 248.89 KB / Downloads: 1,376)
Ian Williams is currently undertaking to build a number of Ulster [sic] bodies with a small group of people in NZ.

His interest in accurate and original details will no doubt influence the construction of these bodies and as such, will be useful to you for sure.
Thank you for the plug Ruairidh, Atho and I are in regular contact, however the problem we have isolated at the bottom of the world is that we do not have access to genuine cars or even decent repro's. I would like to reinforce Atho's plea for help and information, partly for selfish reasons, and partly because I have seen what Atho is doing, his dedication to authenticity and workmanship is quite superb. In recent times I have received invaluable information privately form one or two forum members, you know who you are and I am always in your debt, thank you.
Black Art Enthusiast
(21-01-2018, 06:53 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: Thank you for the plug Ruairidh, Atho and I are in regular contact, however the problem we have isolated at the bottom of the world is that we do not have access to genuine cars or even decent repro's. I would like to reinforce Atho's plea for help and information, partly for selfish reasons, and partly because I have seen what Atho is doing, his dedication to authenticity and workmanship is quite superb. In recent times I have received invaluable information privately form one or two forum members, you know who you are and I am always in your debt, thank you.

Hi Ian

Are your bodies more accurate than those being offered here in the UK....I'd be interested to see photos of yours. I realise that the LWB bodies available here are clearly not "accurate" as there were no genuine LWB bodies in the first place.

Arthur

Incidentally, whilst on this subject, apart from being GRP, how good were the Chris Gould bodies in terms of shape etc. I was in contact with the person who has the moulds for CG's bodies, but can't recall who he is now.

I shall visit Chris shortly as I'm not far from him and he seems a pretty knowledgeable all round chap.

Arthur
I would not suggest what we building here are any better than the SWB bodies made in the UK Arthur, quite probably not, Rory was simply making reference to the fact I just have a personal rivet counting drive!
Black Art Enthusiast
(21-01-2018, 10:23 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Here are a couple of photos of DM 7155, taken over forty years ago; they probably don't show the detail you are looking for, but here goes:

Thanks Mike Costigan, Thats the sort of thing I'm looking for. Obviously I am looking for more details, but I am appreciative of anything. All Photos are useful when you don't have access to a genuine car. 

Cheers,
Athanasius Santamaria
Two more, then:

.jpg   004.800.jpg (Size: 54.14 KB / Downloads: 1,043)

.jpg   020.800.jpg (Size: 60.77 KB / Downloads: 1,040)
Has anyone ever taken a sounding of how many "original" cars are still with us,or coined a registry of such rare creatures ?
I've been searching for several years for a genuine Ulster with no success ... in a market that's awash with incredibly rare exotica the Austin Sports is indeed a unicorn.