The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A7s in today's Telegraph...
If you can get beyond the firewall, in today's Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/feature...d-britain/
Here it is:

Attached Files
.jpg   1.jpg (Size: 256.82 KB / Downloads: 468)
.jpg   2.jpg (Size: 311.93 KB / Downloads: 472)
.jpg   3.jpg (Size: 249.33 KB / Downloads: 471)
.jpg   4.jpg (Size: 191.77 KB / Downloads: 468)
.jpg   5.jpg (Size: 191.27 KB / Downloads: 471)
.jpg   6.jpg (Size: 256.9 KB / Downloads: 471)
.jpg   7.jpg (Size: 80.59 KB / Downloads: 472)
Thank you Tony, a cracking article with some good photography too.
I think this A7 was restored by the late Ron Smith of the Lincs Group PWA7C.
Very interesting of course, but was it really affordable, and to whom, still only a few...a house was around £350 then...average price now £270K...rampant inflation apart in respect of houses.
A cracking article... except for all the errors!

In 1919 the Austin 20 was considered neither big nor heavy, it was very much a mid-sized car.

The Seven was not the first mainstream car to have what is now considered the conventional pedal layout; both the Austin Twelve and the Twenty had this layout before the Seven. I have no idea whether Austin pioneered the layout in Britain, but several 'mainstream' American cars used this layout before the First World War.

Nor was the Seven responsible for the Austin Motor Company's recovery from receivership; the financial investment that effected that was in place before the first Seven prototype was built.

The Austin Seven was never built in Japan, and only assembled, not manufactured, in Australia.

If Sam Grange-Bailey's car is that illustrated, then it is a 1931 car, not 1929; nor is it fitted with a magneto.

and just to nit-pick, the 1923 price was £165, not £167.

But still, it makes for a good read, and it's all good publicity.
"I think this A7 was restored by the late Ron Smith of the Lincs Group PWA7C."

Good evening everyone,
I believe Bill is right about this. I remember visiting Ron and family with my dad many times during the rebuild and fondly remember some of the amusing tales he told about what he'd done with the car!
 I seem to remember it went on the road in early 1972 just prior to my dad's 1931 RM - now sadly an "ulster" according to an advert I saw a while ago in France.
Best wishes,
Nick
(19-02-2022, 06:08 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: A cracking article... except for all the errors!

In 1919 the Austin 20 was considered neither big nor heavy, it was very much a mid-sized car.

The Seven was not the first mainstream car to have what is now considered the conventional pedal layout; both the Austin Twelve and the Twenty had this layout before the Seven. I have no idea whether Austin pioneered the layout in Britain, but several 'mainstream' American cars used this layout before the First World War.

Nor was the Seven responsible for the Austin Motor Company's recovery from receivership; the financial investment that effected that was in place before the first Seven prototype was built.

The Austin Seven was never built in Japan, and only assembled, not manufactured, in Australia.

If Sam Grange-Bailey's car is that illustrated, then it is a 1931 car, not 1929; nor is it fitted with a magneto.

and just to nit-pick, the 1923 price was £165, not £167.

But still, it makes for a good read, and it's all good publicity.

Also I've always restricted the term "Box Saloon" for the steel bodied cars starting with the RL, but I may be wrong in that interpretation

c
As this is a forum packed with people who have amazingly detailed knowledge of our favourite car it is not surprising we can often pick holes in articles written by those who know rather less about the subject. But unless a piece is wildly and horrendously inaccurate, then any publicity is good publicity and I think we should enthusiastically welcome such a prominent and enjoyable plug for the Austin Seven - and forgive the one or two slight errors that crept in...
(19-02-2022, 11:22 PM)Nick Salmon Wrote: As this is a forum packed with people who have amazingly detailed knowledge of our favourite car it is not surprising we can often pick holes in articles written by those who know rather less about the subject. But unless a piece is wildly and horrendously inaccurate, then any publicity is good publicity and I think we should enthusiastically welcome such a prominent and enjoyable plug for the Austin Seven - and forgive the one or two slight errors that crept in...

Nick- No real criticism intended. Merely anorak habits.
A nice article about someone appreciating the experience of driving a vintage Austin 7

c