The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommendations to weld crankcase
Having picked up a very oily crankcase at Beaulieu, thankfully for not much money I've found this crack !!! (Guess somebody tried to remove the block without removing the nut at the rear ???) be a shame to scrap as lip seal looks good and rest is fine.
.jpg   IMG_0074.jpg (Size: 84.76 KB / Downloads: 625)
.jpg   IMG_0072.jpg (Size: 101.77 KB / Downloads: 624)
I would bin that and put it down to "caveat emptor". It's cracked all the way across from the camshaft to the oil gallery. More trouble than it's worth.
Might make a decent paperweight though.
I have a crank case with a very similar crack. It was caused by rigid bolting the engine in a trials car. 

Is not worth welding put it in the scrap
Scrap I'm afraid,even if someone weld it the crankcase will be distorted.
I'm looking at salvaging one now,not a stripped thread on it but a really badly bodged front bearing flange where 5/16 bolts have been fitted to fix the bearings.
From experience bodged sump and strainer,most other threads on the extremities (welding up) but down the sides and top face is trouble.
I bought 3 at 750 Beaulieu for conversion,only one was very good but knew the other 2 were marginal.
As others, it's scrap. The only way to save it is by laser welding that won't distort it further but the cost will be rather more than a replacement. I think we can all say, been there, done that at some time.

Steve
Top one scrap,the other two hopefully salvageable 
Coincidentally scrap one and superbodge are numbered 32 apart.

Mmm,maybe superbodge is not so good.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

By chance I've just found a local Tig welding company thats into motor mods and repairs too, as it was originally bought for a low comp cooking engine, I'm going to let them loose on this one, if it turns moody the I've got a 'dummy motor' for my new Motor Lodge.
Even Tigging that will be awkward amd messy
I have had a Nippy Crankcase Laser welded it cost quite a lot of money and it only had a hole in the side.
Look for another crankcase.
Scrap? Just put aside. Myriads of items  have been needlessly scrapped. many non welding ways around the filter drilling breakages and the front flange.
I wonder how many stud cracks are due pliant gaskets and/or excessive torques. With only two bearings distortion is far less a problem than with other enginet, although bearing housings should be round and the centre camshaft aligned by one means or another.
Despite all the doubters with regards to saving this crankcase and looking for another one !!!!!!!!
(The days of the £5 Austin 7 in the scrapyard are long gone )
I had it welded by a local company, and are more than happy with the results, the welder is a full time professional and has friends that own Austin 7's and other vintage cars, so knows what he's doing.

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG_0103.jpg (Size: 91.35 KB / Downloads: 214)
.jpg   IMG_0101.jpg (Size: 110.74 KB / Downloads: 213)
.jpg   IMG_0104.jpg (Size: 118.14 KB / Downloads: 213)