The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wood Glue recommendations ?
This thread has clearly shown that there are different glues that in my book serve different purposes.
West System Epoxy is great for some use cases and I've just used it in the construction of the running boards of the Fiat, where the working conditions are almost nautical. Gorilla Glue is great, as is Cascamite for some projects, as is traditional Evo Stick wood glue and many others. Joint design, joint fit and use case impact which I use for any given problem.

C
No More Nails !!!!!
I'm a bit late to the party here. As Nick suggested, we have a surprising secret when it comes to gluing frames together. The answer is that we hardly ever do. My feeling is that for the most part it's better to allow a bit of flexibility in the joints. I'd back that up by saying that we must have dismantled several hundred original assemblies and we've never found a trace of glue in any of them.

We do use glue for laminating curved sections and for putting together some complicated sub-assemblies. For these jobs we use a good-quality, exterior-grade PVA wood adhesive, such as Evo-Stik.

I think it was Derek who mentioned Gorilla Glue. It's perfectly true that it sticks very well, but my main objection to it is that it foams as it dries and this then sets to a very hard mess that's extremely difficult to remove.
Martin's comment is sound! Our Woodwork lecturer used to mock the Engineering dept. for working to a tolerance of +/_ 5 thou or whatever. His line was that in woodwork it either fits or it doesn't. Also , we were told never to actually fully assemble joints as a test because this would affect the final fit.
I stuck to metalwork, me.
My Cup replica frame was all glued with Gorilla glue
I was very pleased with the result. Also used it to glue the
bonnet hinges, metal to metal.

Any B&Q or Homebase will stock it
Bill G
AllAlloyCup
Scottish Borders
Based near the Scottish Border,