The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Starter Motor Issue
Ouch!
Perhaps I should explain that the owner who had the ring gear fitted is no longer with us and I don't know whether it was a replacement from a more modern engine or from one of our cherished suppliers. What i do remember is that when it was fitted 3 speed ring gears were like hen's teeth so it may be the former.
You gotta smile. The permutations of traps encountered in much meddled old cars are never ending.
With a suitable pattern gauge scope for a few hours with a disc grinder? And move the starter in slightly?
    Here's a photo of the two ring gears next to each other. The correct ring gear fitted perfectly heated to 250 degrees C it dropped on and locked on. After giving it some thought I think the wrong one was made for a Seven and incorrectly machined. As Lucas were the main supplier of starters I can't see them making starters with different pinions for similar sized engines. Would this be the cause of some rear mounted starter mountings failing? If I've found one there are bound to be others around.
I found on my RN that the armature bushes were dry and partially seizing. Probably never been apart in a very long time. A thorough clean and lube and voila
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
Some interesting reading here:
https://www.mackgermany.com/en/products-...rades.html
(12-03-2022, 07:36 PM)bob46320 Wrote: Some interesting reading here:
https://www.mackgermany.com/en/products-...rades.html

That’s fascinating, I thought a brush was a brush, evidently not.
I wonder if the suppliers of brushes for our 7s have checked they are getting the correct material or are just supplying the suitable size????
As the info above shows bad things can happen with the wrong material brushes.....sorry but yes there is a need to be worried.
Dave, in your photo of the two starter rings, which one is the "proper" one please. Just curious.
I think the top one is correct, Bruce. The bottom one has teeth that look too wide and too shallow. Certainly, the ring gear just fitted to one of my flywheels has teeth like the top one in the photo.

If you see this, Dave, can you post what the various stampings are on the incorrect ring gear? I have a 1951 'Shrung On' list ('Made of British Steel by British Labour' it says!) and I might be able to work out what it's really from.

Steve

(14-03-2022, 02:23 PM)Dennis Nicholas Wrote: I wonder if the suppliers of brushes for our 7s have checked they are getting the correct material or are just supplying the suitable size????
As the info above shows bad things can happen with the wrong material brushes.....sorry but yes there is a need to be worried.

Reading the web site, it lists copper graphite as the corrrect material for starter motor brushes. Looking at what our suppliers supply (and I received two sets only a few weeks ago), that appears to be exactly what we get and they look to be the same material used for starter motor brushes for multiple vehicles for as far back as I can remember. Not worried at all.

Steve