The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FRONT HUB FELT OIL SEALS
Nippy special with big 7 front axle.
Since last discussion I have received the new sealed bearings and decided to use the new felt oil seals (mainly to keep wet/dirt out rather than grease in).
There seems to have been no definitive felt seal fitting info with various suggestions being voiced.
1.  My intention is to fit the felt with a good smear of moly rich grease around the edge that rubs on the stub axle (CV joint grease).Molybdenum disulphide is very slippery rubbing on itself and quite a difficult substance to clean off anything so should remain in place and active for a long time? (more so than tallow used to?).

2. But what of the rest of the dry felt......not to SOAKE in oil but apply some oil? What grade of oil ?(one suggestion was "apply some oil from the can". rather unhelpful as "the can" could contain anything.  The oil would need to be something that would not dry out too quickly.  (make, grade, how much?)

3. OR, would a good soaking from a chain-grease-squirt-can be good so that the grease gets right into the felt and the solvent would dry off leaving the grease through out.

4. My thought is that the felt needs to be held reasonably firm in the hub so it will not rotate in the hub; this would be adequately achieved by the bearing and washer against the oiled/greased felt?

It would be good to get a reasonably definitive method with named products that can be archived as a quick reference methology easily referred to instead of having to trawl through endless forum chat on the subject.

I will also be taking off the seal on one side of the bearings, removing some of the grease and replacing it with some AFMT rich grease to reduce wear and friction then refitting the seal. I have always done this with bearings on my Scimitars, with all it's bearings. Many of the bearings having now been installed in various places for years. 
So no doom and gloom from the "bearings need friction to work otherwise they skid and self destruct"......mine have not.

Dennis
I use a syringe with some 140 diff oil in after fitting seals dry a couple of squirts  seems to be ok and a light smear of grease on the I/D.I use sealed bearings.
Andy
The grease in modern sealed bearings is selected for a long life and the ability to stay in place; I would not interfere with. 
(I repacked the bearing in an alternator; traces of oil seeped out and the caused the brush to wear rapidly, prompting a second overhaul.)
Perhaps repack at 150,000 miles.
Modern greases do not dry out as the originals did. Perhaps work some Li grease into the bulk of the felt.

Whatever, the washer disc must be retained to ensure the bearings are clamped.