The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RP door handle removal
Can someone tell me the SECRET of how the window crank is removed?  Look easy but I've had no luck so far.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi

This thread may help

https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...er#pid6710

Cheers

Howard
(29-01-2022, 11:47 PM)SneezerUSA Wrote: Can someone tell me the SECRET of how the window crank is removed?  Look easy but I've had no luck so far.

Press the escutcheon to the left, compressing the small spring that can be seen in your pic and the handle should pull off.
Someone has been at the spring before and it will not retract due to being distorted. Removed spring and handle still does not come off. Starting to think crrosion between the pot metal and steel shaft. Any more idea appreciated.
on my RP the chrome door cover disk also has a spring so you push towards the door and a pin hole appears through the shaft and handle. Mine was secured with a crude piece of wire poked through.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
This looks like the RN type handle. The rear bezel / escutcheon is spring loaded and has a D shaped hole. You slide it away from the handle end and pull it off the spindle. There is a "bar" inside the hole that fits on the spindle that does the driving of the mechanism. This fits into a cut out on the end of the spindle with a spring loaded ball in it.
I spent a lot of time thinking about how to get a similar handle off the door of our RN. I also did some searching on-line for the various possible methods.

In the end I got a wire frame coat hanger and used the hook to loop around the handle and with one swift tug on the spigot it came right off. I didn't even need to alter the profile of the hook. I have kept the coat hanger in the garage for the next time. 

Perhaps a thread on uses for wire coat hangers wouldn't go amiss.