The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cork or paper……
Started preparing Ruby for our trip across the channel later this year and having changed the oil a couple of times during her first 750 miles thought I’d get in early and change the oil once more and clean the filter now rather than at the last minute.
So drained the oil and then tried to remove the sump, a lot easier said than done but we got there. 
However the gasket for the sump that was installed when the engine was rebuilt by my neighbour was cork, but the spares I have are all paper. It does not appear any goo was used on the cork gasket.
The face of the sump I removed does not look particularly flat but I do have others that look, on the face of it to be flatter.
So the question to those in the know, which should I use cork or paper??
Cheers

Actually just googled silicon sump gaskets for A7’s and I see Seven Workshop has these, but did not readily see them on their web page.
Has anyone had experience of silicon gaskets for the sump joint and if so any do’s n don’ts I should know about??
Cheers
On the Seven and later cars always made my own cork gaskets. Does not have to be a single sheet. Butted ends seal. Unreinforced cork not good for Sevens as chips likely to detach. I glued to the pan and greased the other face, so could often refit. In the enthusiasm of (relative) youth I used to remove the Seven and Javelin sump every oil change and the Javelin contrived to require other removals. It did not prevent pistons failing etc.....
Hi Denis

I’m a firm advocate of Jamie’s silicon gaskets.  Make sure the surfaces are completely clean and dry. No sealant necessary.  AND I’ve found they are reusable  Smile.

Cheers

Howard
(28-01-2022, 07:57 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi Denis

I’m a firm advocate of Jamie’s silicon gaskets.  Make sure the surfaces are completely clean and dry. No sealant necessary.  AND I’ve found they are reusable  Smile.

Cheers

Howard

Yes, agree 100%

Steve
Silicon gaskets are very good.

You can find where the rest of the oil is coming from.
Find the silicon gasket excellent so much so that next time the engine has to come apart I will fit a silicon gasket to the block/crankcase. I would advise a little hymalar or similar to the sump bolt threads.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Silicon is the only way!
+1 for Silicon gaskets!