The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alleged 'Austin Swallow'.. Help to ID please
I am sure there is nothing Austin about this car, and apologise for starting a non-Austin thread, but an old friend insists that his father (who worked in the Garage shown), told him that this was an 'Austin Swallow'... I'd be grateful if one or more well-informed and knowledgeable Forumistes could ID it for me. Many thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
It’s not an Austin 7. However the rad shell is of a style used by Swallow. Probably a Standard.
Alan Fairless
one Seven owner has a rare Standard Swallow and I'm sure will see this to comment... but it doesnt look much like, and looks to have a lot of Special in it?
It started life as an SS2 coupe but there's not much left of the original William Lyons' body!

Edit: actually the car looks fairly complete and original in the third picture, it's had the top chopped off in the second picture, and completely revamped in the third!
wow. I wonder if any remains survive anywhere. Not on DVLA tax website.
I could knock up a new coupe body for it  Big Grin
Just as a foot note, the SS2 was introduced in 1931 and pre dated the formation of SS cars by a couple of years so if this was an early one it could well have been built while the Company was still trading as the Swallow Coachbuilding Company... so perhaps a Standard Swallow .?
Thanks everyone for your opinions, especially Mike whose photo proves pretty conclusively that it is in fact a Standard SS2. Shame it didn’t survive, as, even in butchered form, it would have been rather an interesting reference point in the SS/Jaguar story.
I’ll let my friend know what a broad wealth of general motoring knowledge there is amongst Heptaphiles.
(28-01-2022, 09:09 PM)Peter Naulls Wrote: I could knock up a new coupe body for it  Big Grin

Highland coupe?

Cheers

Howard
Mike, interestingly JN 2763 is listed on DVLA as a 1933 Standard in yellow - no MOT history but may be in a museum somewhere - Coventry perhaps?