The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reducing Drafts and fumes entering floor
Wink 
While working on the new floor pan and checking clearances with the engine, gearbox and pedals, I noticed all the areas that fumes and drafts from the underside and engine bay could enter the interior of the car.  Pedals, accelerator, hole in firewall right behind the rear core plug of the engine, not to mention the gap around the engine and gear box itself.

Is there a favored way to seal these up so that this issue can be resolved in some way ...or is this part of the "joy"  of the A7 driving experience ;-)
Suggestions please.
Thanks,
Stephen
E.C. Gordon England was on this in 1923!

https://gordonenglandregister.files.word...luders.pdf
father put all sorts of felt and mats in the RP here. With the colossal oil leak it had, it has been successful on 2 fronts. No drafts, but big fire hazard!.
As Hedd has mentioned stopping oil leaks will reduce fuming and allow the use of close fitting carpets or rubber. 
My wife complained of fumes coming up over the door in the roadster so I extended the tailpipe to the back, and at the same time routed it UNDER the crossmembers to reduce the muffler from cooking her feet.
Talking to a chap yesterday he said don't put the petrol dipstick away under the seat after use, made sense.
Makes sense to seal off any bulkhead holes. The rubber mats seem to seal the floor reasonably well, apart from around the pedals.

Is main source of fumes in the engine bay the crankcase breathing holes in the rocker cover? Fitting a cover with a single outlet (rather than the original row of holes) and running a pipe from there to under the car reduced fumes from the engine on my car to acceptable levels.