The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nippy crankcase jets.
Does anyone know what is bore size is for the Nippy crankcase oil jets?  The engine I've just dismantled seems to have been modified.
I should have some in the garage It is just a case of trying to find which Pile / Box of junk they are in !
I have taken a set out so that I can convert a crankcase into a pressure fed engine.
It might take while to find them though.
Thanks Dickie that would be most helpful.
Hi Robert, are you using a Nippy crank of has it been updated with a Phoenix of similar? I have had a couple of Nippy cranks pass through my hands and they appear to have very small oil galleries, I opened them out and radiused the entry as one would do with a splash Phoenix. I am afraid that I don't recall noticing a difference in the jets, but that not to say there is not one, I would apply the same thinking you would for any other sporting splash engine, good alignment and high volume. .
Black Art Enthusiast
I am sure the Nippy Jets are a different body size to the normal engine.
I have taken a 1980s splash fed Alan Crank out to install a Hadley Crank into a sand cast Nippy crankcase.
I will try and find the Jets at the weekend to check the size for you. I do suspect that I have damaged them by drifting them out but the gallery side hole should be to size.

As far as I am aware the oil pockets in a genuine Nippy Crank are smaller than the stock cranks.
Most Nippies were driven harder and by the 1950s most had suffered broken cranks, with the resultant damage to crankcases.
I am hoping to have my Nippy engine built and running by the Centenery.
Hi Robert,
I have found one Nippy oil jet that did not get destroyed when I removed it.
The buisiness end is a bullnose shape with a 1/16" orfice.
The oil galley end is 7/64" ID
The ODs are .158" and .177"
length is 1.235" with the shoulder inside the oil galley .150"
Dickie, 
  the ones I pulled out were 3/16" Od. and 1/8" bore. 
I don't understand what you mean by a 3/16" orifice at the business end.
Hi Robert,
I made a Typo its 1/16" bore
I have made the correction to the measurement.
Sorry for the confusion.
I used a drill bit to size the bore sizes and a cheap digital caliper for the other dimensions.

[Image: VPY0vrN][Image: VPY0vrN]        
how do these measurements sit against standard oil jets? I'll add some of the dimensions to the Nippy FB group and see if anything else comes forward.
Hi Jon,
I might have to see if I have any standard oil jets to compare.
How many old Baccy tins will I have to search through ???

I have a complete Nippy engine in bits at the moment. ( Crankcase is at work )