The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
promoting your car and hobby 100 years
Smile 
Firstly Happy New Year to one and all.Remember that all we are seeking to promote in the Centenary event will be practically done and dusted within slightly more than 6 months!
That's a really sobering thought, especially to those already involved in the planning of this massive event.

I agree wholeheartedly about  the necessity of  the presence of making our favourite little cars visible on every possible occasion- and I use mine daily for any trip, not only just locally
but on longer travels with like minded seveners.
Drive it Day encourages us to show off our cars, and we should be doing it every day, for there are few occasions where they are defeated by weather conditions. I would rather take a Seven out in the snow than any FWD modern.
I find most of my journeys take much longer than they should, no because of performance issues, but for conversations with interested complete strangers, of all ages, who appear out of nowhere as soon as I park.

I have been promoting my Sevens for 50+ years continuously, starting with my first rally  (Golden Jubilee 1972). The more Sevens seen around on a regular basis in public this year the less they are likely to attract the unwelcome attention of the so called 'environmentalists'
Off this evening for a nice pint in my local, spreading the word! Smile
Cheers  Bob
I take the view that promoting of our cars is an ongoing thing - using them, being prepared to answer everyone's questions even when it's not convenient, letting them take photos, sit inside etc. I carry postcards around to give out to people who want to know more (what did it cost new, what's it worth, how fast does it go etc) and perhaps I should up-date these to talk about the centenary. I also attend my local city centre car show; it's not my favourite event but it does start conversations.

My mechanic neighbour friend asked if I could give him a lift home from work one night, I said yes as long as he drove himself. It was his first experience of a pre-war car. Similarly my female colleague drove the Ruby around the industrial estate one day - she is unlikely to ever want one but her young son is absolutely mad on cars and tractors so perhaps it will have sparked his interest. 

If ever I get both of my cars working reliably I plan to lend one to a friend. His son is very mechanically minded and also has a love of history so perhaps he is a potential future enthusiast. Who knows.
As many of you know, my RP saloon gets quite a bit of use one way or another. In fact I hvae to ration the miles to keep it under the 5000 that I am allotted under my insurance cover. having done duty as my daily driver for nearly four weeks before Christmas, it has been having a bit of a rest, A lot of people in Bala know the car and, during the past three weeks or so, several of them have inquired how the 'little car' is, having not seen it recently.
Thank you for explaining.

I think using them works best, certainly worked on the school run this morning, a lot of smiles - I knew I should have worn clothes.
good to see as usual only 1% of the austin 7 world understood me Big Grin

its good to hear people have there cars in regular use, and yes by being seen is the best way to promote the cars to others.

i was asking if people were looking to use the cars 100 year milestone to promote it to other car enthusiasts. if so in what way.

obviously not, most are happy to do there same thing. 

as a friend always says to me "nothing wrong with that"

lets see as many of you out there this year as possible.

tony.
I have been thinking about this overnight Tony.

For me, the car itself has always been a vehicle for social interaction and I don’t consider it a hobby, it is a way of life that has allowed me to meet really interesting people and visit wonderful places. I struggle with static rallies because I find them really boring and I have left all the Clubs that just sit at tables once a month to chat minutia of originality over a lemonade and lime.

I would promote loaning a Seven to a friend, my father did this and I was recipient of such when I started to study in the 1990s. I would promote giving away your surplus spares - that most likely were given in the first place - to allow economical builds to occur.  I would promote just using the cars as a youngster, whilst responsibilities are less and energy is high.

The story is interesting, as an aside,  but the experiences and adventure are the thing that really hook a young mind.

At the dinner table last night we discussed our plans for summer 2023 as a family.  Our girls of 10 and 13 eyes lit up when they realised that a visit to Europe in the Austin was once again a real possibility.  They went on to talk excitedly of where they will take their own families in the future, in the Sevens they have chosen to inherit!

So yes, promote the story and the history but don’t forget the experiences and the friendships that open up too.
hi R,

i used the word hobby, as the question was to everyone. it blanket covers if you like.

promoting the cars future, is one of those use it or loose it things.

tony.
I understand - my response to your question was personal, as you would expect. Smile
MY question is why does it matter if our interest is not shared by future generations?

If the old car movement dies out in the future we won't be around to worry about it.
It’s preserving history and keeping the movement alive. Clearly there seems to be many different opinions on the subject. I think it will be safe to say in years to come it will simply just do what you said and die out. Maybe we are simply wasting our time trying to keep the movement and cars alive. Maybe once we are all finished with the cars just hand them over to a museum. I’m all for keeping the interest and Austin seven movement alive for future generations and keep Herbert Austin’s story alive.