The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Twin engined special
You've probably seen this magazine photo before, but I was wondering if there is any more information on this special car ? My colleague at work expressed interest in it so I thought I would ask.
Thanks,
Stephen

A little more in 'The Austin Seven Source Book' pages 504 and 505.
The car (with I believe the siamesed Humber engine) is in the Kelvingrove Museum, Glasgow.
Julian, are you sure that it in Kelvingrove, and not the still rather new Riverside Museum? It does not yet appear in their collections list, being neither an Albion nor the Anderson Special. Either Ruairidh can whizz across and check this weekend, or I will ring an old Glasgow pal after breakfast, who will probably tell me that they have much better things to do. Of course if it was in Swansea or Bristol I’d be there before lunchtime.
The first Anderson Soecial - shown above - is reputedly buried in a farmer’s field in Newton Mearns.

The last time I saw the second Anderson special, it was on display in the Kelvingrove Art Gallery.
I wonder if it ever did 105mph or whether that was a theoretical maximum speed?   The places where such a test could have been carried out were rather limited in the 1930's.
I believe there are rumours that the engine may have used parts developed by Capt Waite in the Austin Competition department.
Most of us have enough with one engine in a car never mind two. Twice as much to go wrong I say Huh

Steve
A very similar looking Anderson was in the old Kelvingrove building and then moved to the new Riverside transport museum. However it was a good few years ago that I visited Riverside so cant say its still on display.
A Google search brought this up - https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/...t-11867516

Aye
Greig
This might be of interest. Some years ago Bob Flockhart did some research on the Anderson Specials pulling together period articles that appeared in a number of motoring magazines. He also put together a bit of a development history which I'll try to attach, not sure if this will work with a PDF!

.pdf   Andersons Specials.pdf (Size: 1.21 MB / Downloads: 69)