The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Petrol dip stick material
Hi All

Thanks for all the ideas.  Here is another one I came upon whilst browsing fuel dip sticks on t’internet.

Anyone heard of a “wine thief”?.  It’s a tube put into a cask, it fills up to the level of the wine. A finger over the open end prevents the wine from flowing out and the “thief” can be removed full of wine.

Here’s a very very rough first prototype Just to see if it works on the fuel tank.....and it does despite petrol having a low surface tension effect.  I’ll report back when I’ve got a better version.

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files
.jpeg   7C4E46AA-4155-4E8F-8B05-6F73BABB1D7B.jpeg (Size: 86.8 KB / Downloads: 252)
I use a twig think it's 10 year now that
I've used it just got Nick's in it for amount
In tank.
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
Howard, while I like the wine thief idea, I would apply the KISS principle and try not to overcomplicate it. The more things you poke into your tank the more likely something is going to melt, dissolve, drop off or otherwise cause you problems.
Hi All

I said I would report back.

Sorry Bruce I like to complicate things a little!

The final version of my petrol thief dip stick.  A brass tube milled with a slot and a tight fit plastic tube running down the inside.  Works very well.  My only concern is the reaction of the plastic to petrol but I’ve had a small bit of the plastic pipe soaking in petrol for several hours without ill effect. The plastic will only be in contact with petrol for a few seconds each use. I’ve just got to put some saw cuts in the brass to calibrate it.

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files
.jpeg   9A2B54A5-1E48-4E6E-B086-982DF3572A1F.jpeg (Size: 67.41 KB / Downloads: 162)
.jpeg   05FC354B-E859-4CD8-A4C6-02EA5586D744.jpeg (Size: 71.94 KB / Downloads: 162)
Who is the ghost in the screeeeam....does he tell you to do things?????;-)
Both my original Prima petrol dipsticks and the reproduction indicate the petrol level in the 4 gallon scuttle tank very well and quite easily read- all  fitted with red fibre 'sticks'
Yes Duncan

SWMBO haunts my every move ?.

Cheers

Howard
I spotted that too!