The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rust removal molasses oxalic hydrochloric update
after seeing your wonderful stub axle, its got to be tried! After watching a YTube american comparison, the only other thing to add to above is the need to clean down the 20 gauge sheet of "new" rust occasionally to keep the process moving along efficiently, when you stop the current to check progress...?
(22-01-2022, 03:36 PM)JonE Wrote: after seeing your wonderful stub axle, its got to be tried! After watching a YTube american comparison, the only other thing to add to above is the need to clean down the 20 gauge sheet of "new" rust occasionally to keep the process moving along efficiently, when you stop the current to check progress...?

The anode (i.e. the positive side of the bath or the sheet of 20 gauge) is truly the "Sacrificial Anode" and gets eaten away. The sheet in the bath at the moment is on it's last legs and is pretty "holy", so it will be time to throw it away and make a new one soon. 

You can reverse the current flow if you put something you don't care about in the bath and that will clean the anode for a bit.

The anode gets past cleaning pretty quickly.....
Photo 
I used electrolysis to clean a rusty, painted valve chest cover. The process removed all of the rust, which was worse than the "before" picture suggests, and all of the paint.

Regards,

Jamie.

Thanks for the teach in! Very helpful indeed.
David
PS Could I put my wife's  Punto in the bucket.......!!!!
(23-01-2022, 11:43 PM)David.H Wrote: Thanks for the teach in! Very helpful indeed.
David
PS Could I put my wife's  Punto in the bucket.......!!!!

If you do that you will end up with no Punto![Image: biggrin.png]
I need to prepare a set of RP wheels for painting. Oxalic crystals seem to be readily available. What concentration of crystals to water would be advisable for a "long soak"? I envisage a garden plastic tray that would accept one wheel at a time, fully submersed.
I use half a baked bean of Oxalic can to a bucket of water. Within reason, I don't think you can really overdo the strength as the mixture doesn't attack the metal. Starting off with warm water seems to get the de-rusting going a bit quicker.
Is anyone fully clued up on hydrogen embrittleemnt? At what strength is it a problem? Are the spring steel spokes affected? How do they treat commercial chrome plated spokes? Chrome plated springs on hot rods were considered a hazard. 
For better or worse I have always avoided acid treatment of high tensile parts.
Watched a documentary recently about the London building which shed its cladding....
John

I use as much oxalic acid powder as I feel like. No science here.

Half a baked bean per bucket of water is a lot less than I tend to use. Half a baked bean can is probably a bit more.
When de-embrittling fasteners after plating, they were "put in a mild oven!" for at least 12 -24 hours to get the hydrogen out, Some times even longer for critical applications If not the heads would pop off shortly after installation...most embarrassing...if not deadly!
On the other hand some customers would ask "can't you miss it out...we need them now & had to be gently  (!) told. ..er, no!