The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Help with box saloon running boards
I need a little help please fellas, it’s so long since I stripped the RP I can’t remember the type of screws used to fix the upstand part of the running boards, can anyone help?
I’ve attached a picture of the old running board upstand and it looks like it had pan head wood screws going along the top (there are timber strips behind) and perhaps pan head engineering screws and nuts along the bottom...but I could be wrong, sorry the pic is upside down!

If it's any help Ivor, mine came from the Seven Workshop a long time ago and they're glued on.
Thanks Bruce, yes mine are from the Seven Workshop and glued, but the strength in the running boards themselves comes from the bolts to the wings and of course the screws along the upstand which screws to the sill...I have all the holes, but don’t know what should be in ‘em!.
Ah, I guess mine are bespoke because they bolt to the sills from underneath. Perhaps the sills are bespoke too...
There should be 4 narrow strips of wood (ash) on the inside of each of the two sills. These are what the vertical sections of the running boards and also the inner (carpet covered) metal valances are fixed to. Original fasteners were 3/16" BSF round head steel machine screws with washers, the nuts being recessed into the wood strips. I don't think A7 running boards 1932-1934 were ever intended to take the weight of anything more than a child or maybe a young lady of average weight (apparently 8st pre-1950!).
Thanks Mick that makes perfect sense, I have the strips of wood, at least on one side!

I’ll use identical machine screws for the bottom...not that I need to but you can stand on my running boards, without a problem, there are two nuts and bolts attaching to the front mudguard, three screws going into the wooden strips at the top and another six machine screws at the base of the upstand and they all look original.

I’ve taken a photograph of the upstand upside down so the one attached should by the right way up!

Ivor,
We're getting into "rivet counting" here, but originally there were three screws along the top edge and 4 along the bottom. You have an extra hole just under the wheel of the motif.
Taking most of any load are the 1/4" hex head bolts fastening the two end flanges of each running board directly to both the rear wing and the flange of the front wing (two at each end, 8 in all).
As you say, it's a pretty sturdy job, but you wouldn't want chaps weighing 16 stone regularly standing on them!
Thanks Mick, I’m no rivet counter, but I like to get things as close to original as possible.

I shall follow your guidance to the letter!