The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sunbac Colmore Cup Trial 1936
Is this a Speedy at the 1936 Colmore Cup Trial? It doesn't have a competition number but it seems to be in the paddock?

Milton's Grasshopper and waiting is 38, Nicholl's G.E. Cup. Is it WK 1201?

No doubt more distinguished trials historians will make major contributions after their breakfast, but here is an initial suggestion. Twelve Sevens entered the 1936 Colmore. Works entries were 23 Goodacre,  24 Bert Hadley, 25 Scriven and 26 B Buckley. Buckley  in BOA58, and Goodacre in BOA59 took  1st class award, Bert Hadley, BOA60  and J Orford in AOV342  and Bill Scriven took 2nd class. Third class was achieved by Richardson, Arthur, who seems never to have trialed again, Nichols and Ward. Ted Lloyd Jones, not yet having access to ex RAF Merlins, entered  a special propelled by a supercharged  engine. Wallis Milton failed to win an award but still finished. W Sewell drove a works entered blown Austin Ten, shhh, don't tell P Tunnicliffe that Tens competed long before Swallow Dorettis, Jowett Jupiters or XK 120s entered production.   

Sources; Cowbourne, Channing Brown, "Wheelspin" Mays and my own notes. Why have I such anorak notes? Well because this coming year's Historic Hillclimb Tours will ascend the very historic Birdlip, at the top of which the Royal George was the Colmore's final control. Fish Hill is included, and we pass the foot and then the top of Stanway Old Hill. The first run in May is fully booked, the tour planned to welcome Austin Sevens should take place on the Friday of the Centenary Celebrations. Bookings have been taken, places are available.
I would agree with you on both counts, Henry.

The first picture would certainly appear to be a Speedy, although it's lost its original front wings and may have also jettisoned the scuttle cowling.

The Cup is rather harder to identify: there are significant differences between your 1936 photo and the 1929 photo of WK 1201 on Austin's website, but significantly the shape and form of the '201' number plate is identical - it would be remarkable to find two identical hand-painted plates on different cars.
I agree  it's a Speedy / 75 with the distinctive high back. Yes, the wings appear to be cycle but I suspect the cowling is still present.
Moving slightly away from the point; but does anyone know what happened to SUNBAC (Sutton and North Birmingham Automobile club). I remember them organising event up to the 2000 (?) and then disappearing. Did they have records or an archive. Where did it go?
Again digressing,anyone know of this club.When I looked it up I couldn't find anything.I've had this badge about 20 years and not seen another.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Very similar to Midland Automobile Club [MAC] in colour and style.
Andy
SUNBAC ceased to exist as a car club, I think about 10 years ago. Not sure why but have heard it was due to lack of people interested in running it.
Alan Fairless
Number 44 was C. D Buckley in Grasshopper BOA 58; Milton did not compete in this event (AOX 3 was his car). Richardson  was trialing at least until April 1938 before his car, AOX 4, was sold on and became part of the Scottish Tartan Grasshoppers team.
The reason we are asking is because we think Ward was driving the Ulster we've just bought. We have a photo of two Ulsters together about to compete, (we think) and are trying to work out who the other one is and see if there are any photos of it competing.