The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What would you include in the perfect Austin Seven workshop?
I've already got most of what I need (and I hope to soon buy the battery 'Rattle Gun' that I've coveted for some time) however, space for a mill, a mill to go in it, underfloor heating, sufficient height to fit a 4 post lift and a 4 post lift to go in it would make things pretty much perfect. I suppose a bit more floor space wouldn't hurt, either, but given that the content of workshops and garages tends to increase to suit the space available, probably best not!!

Steve
It's interesting the number of people who desire underfloor heating in the motor house.

We have underfloor heating in our utility / boot room. (Sounds posh but it's basically a pile of muddy shoes and coats.) The issue is that the heat wrecks the soles (and leather) of shoes and boots. Not sure what it would do to tyres.
(06-01-2022, 02:38 PM)John Cornforth Wrote: A bell that rings when Lunch or Dinner is ready ! (Only in my dreams, that one)

Seriously though, Light, Warmth and Space before you start adding tools.

Attached Files
.jpg   zz 005.jpg (Size: 243.64 KB / Downloads: 278)
A page three girl, to help me with my nuts. S&P Huh
A floor made out of any material that does not mysteriously swallow up every nut, bolt, screw and washer accidentally dropped on it.
Dehumidifier-corrosion ,like all reactions,is accelerated by heat so particularly important if heating garage.
Paint concrete if more expensive solutions such as vinyl not possible.
Clock to show when time to knock of for a pint
Wheatley and Morgan nailed it for everyone over 50 years ago, except possibly Stuart Giles who clearly has American sized ambitions.
Their first volume has the layout below and the second volume (the difficult second album?) has some pictures that glimpse heaven. 
Whilst the layout is still a dream for most of us their machine tools look "elderly", which is understandable. Their book was published in the same year that my lathe was made, and that type of quality machine tool was never envisaged in a home workshop (which is a very polite paraphrasing of what my wife said when I brought it home)

Charles
Going back to a comment Reckers made, a good pal of mine, vintage car owning, has two small chairs known as the 'stools of contemplation'. These are used to sit on, whilst drinking tea and pondering the next steps. Often, we find approaches to problems using this approach. He also has a large hydraulic press (known affectionally as the 'Ten ton Sealey') that prevents us belting the hell out of components resisting disassembly. Often, this is used in conjunction with the stools of contemplation and freshly brewed tea as we wait for the recalcitrant components to separate...
(06-01-2022, 11:35 AM)Reckless Rat Wrote: A blank cheque to go mad buying "snap on" garage tools and equipment would be nice, coupled with a win on the lottery.

Well, at least three of the most recent Euromillions Jackpot winners were tickets bought in France - it could soon be you!
(06-01-2022, 04:00 PM)Charles P Wrote: Wheatley and Morgan.....   .........was published in the same year that my lathe was made........

Charles

And eight years after mine was made Smile

Steve