The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What would you include in the perfect Austin Seven workshop?
My wife sometimes suggests moving a bed in there.
I certainly would like/need/want some sort of lift. Ideally a moveable single post lift that I could use inside and outside but I'm a few beer tokens short (about four thousand).

I've already got most of the equipment I need, including the khazi, sink, heating and air-con as well as a couple of patio chairs for pondering moments. A spray booth is a good idea but as I don't do much painting I just use a roll of polythene sheeting and some roof laths (2x1") to fabricate a sealed box when the need occurs. Attic space is handy. I have 32m² plus a mezzanine.

A blank cheque to go mad buying "snap on" garage tools and equipment would be nice, coupled with a win on the lottery.
I suppose the list might be almost endless but as a start I'd go for a heated and insulated workshop minimum 12m x 12m with 1000+ lux shadowless indirect lighting, high enough to have a mezzanine floor, a 4-post or similar lift and shelving all round to take masses of labelled plastic storage boxes to keep everything in order.
3-phase electric supply with multiple outlets
Sink and hot water supply
Carpeted floor? Epoxy floor? Rubber tiled floor?
Failing a lift, a pit.
Rails down the sides carrying a cross beam with an electric hoist
Strong workbench with a high-quality, swivelling and rotating vice, cupboard and drawer storage and, of course, all the spanners and other tools.
A second steel-topped mobile workbench with fitted tool storage
Lathe with a spindle bore of 1.25 inches minimum http://www.lathes.co.uk/faq/page2.html;
Vertical miller with a power-feed table (this would double as a co-ordinate drill) http://www.lathes.co.uk/faq/page3.html.
A small, high-speed 10,000 – 20,000 r.p.m. precision drill  http://www.lathes.co.uk/faq/page20.html
Multi-speed metal and wood-cutting bandsaw
Toggle press - or hydraulic
Welding equipment.
A large propane bottle and torch.
Cleaning bath with pumped supply.
3-litre ultrasonic cleaning tank
Hydrovane compressor and bead-blasting cabinet.
Wall-mounted hose reel
Powerful vacuum cleaner
Bisley-type small-drawer storage cabinets packed with every BSF, Whitworth and BA fastening known to man
..etc!
Headroom so I can get the beasties up to minimise bending ?‍?
Have quite a lot of equipment here already, but workshop and garage space is at a serious premium. Going into total pipe dream mode, I would have a 200 sq m machining workshop, another 200 sq m for fabrication and 300 sq m for garaging. I would add a 2 post lift to augment my existing four post lift in the garage and would add a big horizontal borer and a swivel table mill (Maho/Deckel style) to do the stuff my Bridgeport struggles with. Probably would get a Chunkier grinder than my little Jones & Shipman too. Well, along with the building costs, there goes the lottery jackpot I haven't won yet...
I wouldn't bother with all the super workshop equipment. I would like a genie in an old oil lamp who would be able to complete any workshop jobs by magic at my command. I'm missing going to the panto this year.
A bell that rings when Lunch or Dinner is ready ! (Only in my dreams, that one)

Seriously though, Light, Warmth and Space before you start adding tools.
I go with the suggestions of a heated workshop. My messing about in the garage finishes once the weather turns to cold and does not start again until the spring. Age and a wife who does not stop going on about catching a death from cold is a big factor in my thinking.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
A Lagonda? (I'll get my coat)
A set of easily operated and efficient car skates.

Regards,

Stuart

Edited to add, John C, be careful what you wish for. I installed an electric bell in my workshop coupled to the house doorbell. It seemed like a good idea at the time. It is quite shrill. While it has its uses, you would be amazed how often it rings at a crucial moment, just when you don't want to be startled.

S.