The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enot vs Jubilee?.
Having sorted my dynamo issues and solved a lot of oil over the the crankcase in the process, I was a bit put out to find a puddle of water under Ruby over the Christmas break.
After a bit of searching I found the bottom connection from the top hose to leaking. Doing the obvious(?) I tried to tighten the Enot clamp only to find one of the clamp straps was broken, so not having a spare I changed the Enot for jubilee type clamp (not original Jubilee).  
All seemed ok and took her out for the first time since the break, all ok until we got home, where the full contents of the rad were dumped on the drive.
On inspection the fluid was pouring out of the top connection of the bottom hose and the Enot clamp on this connection was completely broken, again this was replaced with a jubilee type clamp.
I then checked the remaining two Enot clamps, one had one strap broken and the last at the top of the rad was still sound. 
So now all four Enot clamps have been replaced with Jubilee type, which were only cheap copies from the local DIY shop but I will replace with new original Jubilee clips.
But perhaps it is wise to check the condition of the Enot clamps if you have them fitted, mine were not originals.
Anyone else had a similar problems
Denis S
Not for the purists bit I find these clamps are much better    https://www.bearingboys.co.uk/Stainless-...mp-25868-p

Andy
Being a Heathen my car has stainless steel clamps on its hoses.
On the Chummy I have just acquired, I had to replace an Enots clamp as one of the straps had broken. I wonder whether, being brass, they harden after time and fracture due to the vibration?
Exactly my thoughts Hugh, those fitted on my vehicle would be a few years old but the car hasn’t completed a 1000 miles they have not been touched since first installed, so strange that they have broken in the manner they have and without warning.
Hi Denis

"Never a drip through a Jubilee Clip" they used to say, in the days before the advertising standards authority.

I found the repro Enots clips tended to cut into the hoses, though never had one snap.

Nowadays I use stainless Jubilee types, which they have had 100 years to perfect. A small quarter inch drive hex socket is much nicer for tightening than a slippery flat blade screwdriver.
I guess it depends on whether you strive for "originality" or something else that is serviceable. I always use stainless worm drive clips. I give the inside of the rubber hose a thin smear of silicone before assembly and tighten the clip using a small 1/4 drive socket. 100% reliable and leak free to date. I strive to locate the worm drive part of the clip where it is less obtrusive.
I am never quite sure what constitutes "originality". Cars get serviced and repaired during their working life, often with parts and accessories that were available at the time. Lucas, for instance, often deleted earlier parts from their exchange catalogue where a later part would do just as well. Any car, however original it may be will have seen service purely as a car and serviced and repaired as required simply to keep it running. Such repairs (assuming they have been competently done) become part of the history of that particular car. Each car therefore becomes an individual.

To return to the point of this thread, given that Jubilee clips have been around for a very long time and certainly were available pre-war, and given that they are probably as good as if not superior to many other designs of hose clips, can their fitment not be regarded as "original"?

As I have mentioned in these pages before, my own car is more or less as it was built by the factory in 1933, despite having been substantially renovated almost 50 years ago. I try therefore to keep my car in the plight and condition in which it was when I bought it simply to preserve both it and its history. And, yes, it has Jubilee clips on it (new) water hoses (the ones fitted had gone hard and had started to weep at the ends) and I do not have coolant leaks.
(05-01-2022, 05:23 PM)Stumpi Wrote: Not for the purists bit I find these clamps are much better    https://www.bearingboys.co.uk/Stainless-...mp-25868-p

Andy

+1
They are so, so much better - especially on supercharger hoses

Charles
Another tip when considering fitting hoses to cast parts is to smooth out any cast parts that stick up above the rounded surface (especially new castings) and for rough corroded ones just clean thoroughly and smother with JB Weld then make round again with strips of abrasive cloth part wraped round and pulled back and forth by the ends.......then the clamps of choice will stand a better chance of sealing with only moderate or low pressure applied.  Obvious I know but I struggled to get water tight a new casting .....in a difficult position on another make car Austin related......till I finally gave up and removed casting and fettled it as above as I should have done in the first place.

Dennis