The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
oiler for Lucas dynamos N/S end
What do people make up or use for a missing little metal oiler cap which sits above the shaft for the brass bush that holds the O/S end of the dynamo spindle? 
And does that bush below need to have a small hole drilled or not? I'm unsure if some of the units I've looked at have had bushes replaced and they are in oilite or something, which doesnt require lube, or doesnt require a hole?! Or if they have just not been drilled as they should be.
Any thoughts?
Push in Flip Top Oilers. Plenty on Ebay.

Steve
Thankyou.
So should those particular bushes definitely be drilled or not? I'm confused as to if oilite just absorbs and if it is used as an alternative for other types of bush in modern times... or if its just that people haven't done the job properly when changing these things!
(01-01-2022, 04:20 PM)JonE Wrote: Thankyou.
So should those particular bushes definitely be drilled or not? I'm confused as to if oilite just absorbs and if it is used as an alternative for other types of bush in modern times... or if its just that people haven't done the job properly when changing these things!

Simple answer is, don't know. I've mended, re-built and generally messed about with a lot of dynmos over the years and I can't recall ever drilling any holes. Certainly, I haven't drilled anything on the dynamos on my three Sevens (soon to be two Sad ) that were all fully re-built by me. However, maybe I should have done! No doubt someone who knows the correct answer will be along soon to confirm one way or the other.

What I do know is that if I'm a bit lazy with lubrication Blush  and I get a slight, dry, squeak from any of those dynamos a quick drop of oil in the oiler seems to cure it all but immediatly so the oil must be getting to where it should be hole or no hole.

If fitting an oiler, it's important to fit it 'North - South' as on the photo below. If fitted 'East- West' you'll find you can't 'flip' it open because it fouls the end casing. That's one of those 'Don't ask me how I know this' things.

Steve
good. glad its not just me! further investigation has found one dusty 'ole which appears to have been tapped for 5/16 BSF thread, unless its somehow just giving an impression in hardened oil. So I'm guessing 5/16 pushfit is about right.
As a colonial always confused by the quaint n/s o/s thing. Should it not be o/s? I gather the reference is to the curb not the driver? Curious as to when oilite became established. On other cars  intrigued how little the soft shaft wears running in seldom lubricated oilite bush. A push in wooden plug will keep the dirt out
My car now has the correct C35A dynamo, but when I first acquired it the dynamo was a later C35M which just had a pressed in plug. Being fairly naïve in A7 ownership at the time I didn't realise that the end bush needed occasional lubrication. Steve will hopefully remember coming to my aid at the top of Staxton hill on a coast to coast a long time ago when the end bush was wailing like a banshee... a couple of drops was all that was needed.
(01-01-2022, 06:29 PM)Bob Culver Wrote:  Should it not be o/s? I gather the reference is to the curb not the driver? Curious as to when oilite became established. On other cars  intrigued how little the soft shaft wears running in seldom lubricated oilite bush. A push in wooden plug will keep the dirt out

sorry - yes, O/S! (I know and I still get them muddled when using). I'll correct the original post...!
(01-01-2022, 06:41 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: My car now has the correct C35A dynamo, but when I first acquired it the dynamo was a later C35M which just had a pressed in plug. Being fairly naïve in A7 ownership at the time I didn't realise that the end bush needed occasional lubrication. Steve will hopefully remember coming to my aid at the top of Staxton hill on a coast to coast a long time ago when the end bush was wailing like a banshee... a couple of drops was all that was needed.

I do remember that, Bruce. Wasn't there a burger van that we got a sandwich from when we passed each year? How many years ago was that?

Steve
A long time ago! I can't remember when it was. Malcolm will probably know if he's kept entry lists. It was the first time I did the run.