The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spokes
Where do I go for 19” Austin 7 wheel spokes please ?  would like to carry some spares !

Joe
Original spokes are thicker in the threads. I gather many replacements are not. Suspect the exact thread form also differs. If you have original wheels reasonable used originals OK although only the original nipples may match thread exactly. If the originals are kept reasonably tight and not ridiculously stressed seem to last well.
Hi Joe

I use Richard Bros in Cardiff

https://www.richards-bros.com/

They are well versed in the various diameters of spokes and stock wheel centres and rims to.

No connection, just a happy customer 

Cheers

Howard
Always get helpful, friendly service from Nick Mouat.

https://www.nickmouatwirewheelrefurbishment.com/
Suffolk, UK

1925 Chummy
1934 Box
Just done my rear wheel. For Bob's information it is about 8°C ambient temp here today but I'm working in the garage with the gas heater on full. It took me exactly 7 minutes using 8" motor cycle tyre levers to remove the tyre and tube. I had to replace a total of three inner (short) spokes - the two that I had found plus another one I hadn't. I managed to fit all three without having to sacrifice any others, (with a bit of persuasion). The spokes are from Richards Bros and exactly the same diameter as the originals, and the threads just pass through the drilled holes in the centre. The wheel was done, tensioned and ready for a coat of paint in under half an hour.

I use duct tape rather than a rim band, purely because I'm tight and I had some. Never had any problems with it. The broken spokes look like they have been fatigue cracked for quite a while, judging by the corrosion. All three had broken about 1/2" from the bend next to the wheel centre.

The Longstone tyre came off without any bother whatsoever. I reckon it will "walk" back on too.
Well done Rekkers !!

Aye
Greig
Wouldn't dream of using a heater in the garage at 8 degrees. Though I do at below 3. Maybe us in North Yorkshire are tough.
I’d let your tyre live indoors overnight. If it’s warm it will go on easier. 8deg is a bit cold to be fitting tyres unless you have to.
Alan Fairless
Haven't fitted the tyre as yet; Been painting the new spokes and giving the wheel a general tidy up. I will bring the tyre in and get it warm before I fit it, if only to minimise the risk of a nipped tube. It helps for wangling the tyre valve back into place and saving knuckles. Years ago when I was riding trials bikes competitively I could change a rear tyre in less than 15 minutes and that included taking the wheel off and undoing and resetting the bead clamps. Mind you a warm Michelin X11 radial was as pliable as a used johnny compared to even a Longstone. The Avons are a real pain.

Apparently there's something on the day after tomorrow that might prevent me from getting in the garage, but it can wait. It's a bit dreich here at the moment so I might just stay in and watch the log burner.
(23-12-2021, 12:16 PM)andrew34ruby Wrote: Wouldn't dream of using a heater in the garage at 8 degrees.  Though I do at below 3. Maybe us in North Yorkshire are tough.

whats a heater.

and im not even joking Huh

only got doors on the workshop 18 months ago, as shown on here.

i do have 8 layers on though inc 2 coats, and a woolie hat Big Grin

looking forward to the summer. tony