The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coolant
What are the views on using distilled water instead of tap water with antifreeze.
Also how good is the water collected from a condensing tumble drier for this purpose?
Regards 
             Tim
Butt water, 50/50 blue antifreeze for me, never been a problem.

Joe
As I have mentioned before there is available here to an Australian "Type B" standard an inexpensive additive not antifreeze. Sure to be based on some European standard. Apparently used in competition cars. I have used for 35 years in my Hillman and the cyl head is like new inside. All additive sytems need some sort of catch bottle to reduce wastage. I suppose anti freeze is more essential in UK.
I always use ionised water with 50% blue antifreeze. You do need a good concentration of antifreeze to reduce corrosion. This also has the effect of keeping the hoses supple

My chum bought a car recently where the previous owner only put water in it - what a nightmare everything inside the engine was badly corroded also the rad was blocked with rust from the block and had to be re-cored.
I have been using green anti-freeze mix 50:50 for more years that I can remember. As long as the hoses and water branch joints are in good order there should be no problem. Modern vehicles tend to use OAT coolant (Organic Acid Technology) which is also possible, but it is not compatible with other, ethylene glycol based coolants. A complete flush of the system is necessary before changing over.
i think that if you are in a hard water area then distilled water will be an improvement over adding limescale to your 7's innards from tap water.
Having said that, we have horribly hard water so I use water butt water (also of course soft) filtered through a kitchen sieve to remove bugs etc and with 30% blue.
Always worked for me

Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Thanks gents for all good advice
Tim
Try Welsh water, the softest in the UK.  also good with a single malt. S&P.
(21-12-2021, 04:15 PM)phillips Wrote: Try Welsh water, the softest in the UK.  also good with a single malt. S&P.

+1 (or preferably more)

Iechyd da!

Howard
The tap water in The Scottish Borders likewise.
After nearly 8 years use there are no deposits at all in the kettle.
Jim