The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Handbrake ratchet pivot
I have been unable to find a listing for the handbrake ratchet pivot that screws into the rear of a 3 speed gearbox. Can anyone tell me the length of the pivot piece measured from the centre line of the hole that the ratchet is fastened to. The one that I have is very worn which results in the handbrake pawl housing touching the fabric uj. My car is  a 1927 model.

Forgot to say part number 93 in the diagram.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

One here 38mm but that might have been more like 40 (with only ruler handy)
Could you not build it up with weld?
I've just discovered it's 1/2 BSF thread, by the way.
Could I ask what your gearbox serial number stamp is please.
Hi Ross

I’ve found that these are often purposefully ground down rather than worn. In theory the handbrake shouldn’t foul the coupling although it often does.  A bit of judicious bending allows the handbrake to clear the coupling.  If you can do this the lever will have more travel which I have found to be beneficial.

Cheers

Howard
Hi Ross,

in my experience these come in a variety of lengths and a number of designs.
Thanks for your replies. Bending sounds like an easy option for making clearance.  Building up with weld then grinding to length  maybe the way to go if it doesn’t cause the front brakes to drag.
The number on the gearbox top is 7465D. I don’t  think that this is the original one though. Car no is A5-3148, chassis 47297, engine 47616. Body number on the tunnel is 39084. Date on diff is 25/10/27.
Parazine's hypothesis still supported, as 7465D would translate to 47465, which would be the right range for the car. Why do you suspect unoriginal though?
when I put the chummy I just sold together, I asked the same question. Someone had allready.made a bracket for the front mount which was bolted to the chassis, rather than screwed into the gearbox. 

Based on the dims i was given I adjusted the bracket so the front hole was where it needed to be, then made what amounts to the stop out of a piece of thin plate bent through 90degrees and sandwiched between the chassis bracket and one of the pawl plates. I just made it to suit so that the handbrake gubbins just missed the prop shaft. 

My current chummy seems to just catch, so Im currently driving with the brake on the first tooth. I dare say if I undid the engine mounts and forced it forward id get some clearance. Its getting a new propshaft this winter, so ill sort it then.
I purchased the car mid to late 1960s and while it was complete I can’t vouch for originality of the gearbox. Looking at it from a different perspective the 3 speed boxes are pretty robust so it could well be the original.
The number on the gearbox top is easy to read. Early gearbox cases had the number stamped on the near side web of the bell housing, under the starter housing, where it tends to get obliterated if the starter has been moving about. Later boxes, the number is stamped on the casing above the third motion shaft. I don't know when they changed the location....

This one is an early, XL part numbered box, 1924/25ish?