The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loose Wheel Bearing
A rear wheel bearing is a little loose on the axle casing and appears to have rotated on this a little.  I am contemplating using a smear of Loctite Quick Metal to firm up the fit.  Do any members have any advice on whether I will encounter serious problems later if I wish to remove the hub?
Graham Barker
Loose is not ideal but of little consequence. At least the bearing is free to accomodate any misalignments. If a sealed bearing, any diff oil present may get past. Much same applies to fit of rear bearing in hub although ideally  should be lightly clamped. Movement on the axle may tend to loosen the nut, but cars with taper rollers operate with a very loose bearing retained only by a split pin.
If the car has been run with a broken axle, or a hub which does not run true with axle the bearing would have been inclined to work loose. I would certainly avoid any strong adhesive. Can be very strong in full shear.Would be easy to damage the hub flange or studs trying to pull off. if turning axle should be greased. Sundry thin lead or copper wire in the bevel at end of bore may secure.
Cars like Ford 10s develop considerable vertical lift, of little concern except to modern wof inspectors.
Use loctite bearing fit
(14-12-2021, 07:13 AM)leaf200 Wrote: Use loctite bearing fit

+1. for Loctite bearing fit.  While you are at it fit a lip seal if the hub doesn’t already have one or if you can afford a sealed bearing.

Cheers

Howard
Loctite Bearing Fit 641 technical data sheet says - for disassembly heat to 250 degrees C.  I don't fancy doing this while the bearing is in situ on the car.  
What has been your experience with disassembly after using this product?
Hi Graham

I have only needed to remove a wheel bearing fastened with 641 once and that was about a day after installing it (don’t ask why  Angry).  However it came off relatively easily with a standard hub puller and no heat. I’m not sure if the strength of 641 increases dramatically with age.  I can’t see 250 degrees harming a non sealed bearing or the axle but it may damage a lip seal and could well set fire to a felt seal.

Cheers

Howard
Over 20 years ago, (probably nearer 30) I bought a 60ml bottle of Loctight "STUD'N BEARING FIT". No product number, so no idea if it is still available. I am still useing it. It is green, and over the years I have cured many a water leaking stud, and loose, (sometimes very), bearing with no later removal problems. Definately don't use anything that will set hard and fast.
Cliff.
Hi Howard and Cliff,
The data sheet for the Bearing Fit 641 shows that it develops most of its strength in 24 hours from fitting. Hence your experience of disassembly is encouraging for the use of this product.
Howard is not alone in having to do unexpected disassembly shortly after fitting.  On this job, I have already had to do two disassemblies and still a long way to go.
The Bearing Stud'n Fit name is still used by Loctite.  It is for a product that has high strength, whereas the Bearing Fit 641 is only medium strength. So I think that the Bearing Fit 641 may be better for disassembly.
However, I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has relevant experience, before I take the plunge.
Regards
Graham
Put a spot of solder on top of the axle (using a benign flux) or a wisp of fibreglass filler. Centre dotting the top surface is a mite crude . Fit twice to ensure excessive not trapped. The load is more or less in one direction so unlikely to loosen. The situation at the front is quite different as the bearings there control wheel tilt.
It is more important that the bearing is not an easy fit in the hub as the rotaing load worsens it, althogh again at the rear of little consequence except if a sealed bearing allows any oil past.
No problems at all using bearing fit, that is what it is designed for. Centre popping, solder, filler etc. are completely unnecessary and another bodge. 
   No problems dismantling I have been using it for 40 years and father since it was introduced.