The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
1/2 BSP on Austin 7?
I bought a tap and on looking again at the Cornwall club threads list, can't now remember why I have it! Can someone enlighten me so I can add a note to it please.
Is it to modify a stripped gearbox drain plug thread?
that's the forum thread I found too! But no, I dont think I'd have bothered... which is why I'm head scratching again.
Cancel that….. the king pin brass disc is 3/4” 20TPI

Hi Jon

Working from memory I have a feeling that the thread at the top of the king pin shaft that takes the brass closing disc is 1/2” BSP.

Do check with a thread gauge before you go tapping it.  The tap should be an end tap rather than a taper tap too.

I also think the filler plug on a 31 back axle could be the same thread but I’m not sure.

Cheers

Howard
I wonder if I had the same thinking as you, Howard i.e. I read something wrong and bought it.
Funnily enough, I have just been playing with the brass discs and wondering about their thread. I have little offcuts from my cross tube which is the same thread, and thought I could make some recycled plugs for the king pins, perhaps adding an allen key connector.
Were you doing some plumbing at the time, minds can wander?
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Hi Jon

I think the sump drain plug is 3/4” diameter and 14 tpi.  Which is, I believe, 1/2” BSP.

Cheers

Howard
The drain plugs are a parallel thread so it would be BSPP Not BSPT
That is if in fact they are BSPP !
They are neither. They are 3/4 diameter 14TPI whit threadform. 

A parallel 1/2 BSP tap, would clean the thread out nice, but the whole kaboodle would be bigger requiring a new plug. 

I've got a lot of 14tpi whitform threads on my steam roller, which is 1920. It is alledged that the 14tpi tooling was to some Great War ministry naval standard. I expect probably why Austin also had it. 

I've had to beg, borrow and make tooling to suit when carrying out repairs.
Hedd.
My thoughts were that the drain plugs are a 3/4 Whitworth form so thanks for confirming it.