The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
car support
Hi chaps
Where would the best place to support the car so I can drop the front axle assembly? Mosts if not all the bushing needs replaced and I think I may have to take a look at the leaf spring.
Help and advice needed as always. Rolleyes Sorry about the pic's

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I would support the chassis on two axle stands, just behind the chassis nose piece.
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
I always put axle stands under the crossmembers below the chassis rails where it is strongest.
The other place if your stands are tall enough is under the chassis rails inside the triangle formed by the radius arms, this makes it harder to roll the front suspension out on the wheels as the radius arms have to come off first.
Thanks Chaps
(03-12-2021, 05:54 PM)Rick F Wrote: I would support the chassis on two axle stands, just behind the chassis nose piece.

+1 from me.

If your car is a light Special then supporting it on the cross member could be dangerous. The centre of gravity of my Special is very close to the front cross member and the car can easily be “rocked” when supported here.

Cheers

Howard
The handbook recommends placing a short stiff bar just behind the front axle and in front of the sump. I use a piece of angle iron.
Been out this morning and I've sorted it. Time to take it apart. Confused

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)