The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Smart Diode Cut-out - experience of use?
Might somebody have experience of fitting one of these to a Mk.1 Ruby?
"Smart Diode Cut-out" from the magneto Guys  https://www.themagnetoguys.co.uk/smart-diode-cut-out
Hi Tony

I’ve had one on the Special for the last 1000 miles. Seems to work OK. Easy to fit and goes under the cover of the fuse part of the cut out.

Cheers

Howard

PS I have one in the spares box in my RK as you never know when the electromechanical cut out will pack up.
if you want to make your own, I've got two spare chips going very cheaply... as Howard says, you really need to have two in the car for sanity.
(03-12-2021, 01:00 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi Tony

I’ve had one on the Special for the last 1000 miles. Seems to work OK. Easy to fit and goes under the cover of the fuse part of the cut out.

Cheers

Howard

PS I have one in the spares box in my RK as you never know when the electromechanical cut out will pack up.

Thank you, Howard. To what terminals do the two leads attach - or is that obvious when the unit is removed from the bulkhead?
The basic diode involved was covered on the Forum at length some time ago. I dunno if any special precautions are necessary to protect from the severe interference spikes with a Seven.

Failure of a cutout usually need not strand from getting home.  Depending on the wiring and fusing the dynamo is at risk if it cannot connect to the battery. The cutout can be bypassed or, assuming it has not developed a direct short to earth, it can be bridged with a wire without any disconnection. Ideally keep the engine spinning briskly and do not forget to disconnect when it stopped.
I just use a couple of diodes out of an old 1980s Lucas alternator.
(03-12-2021, 04:40 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote:

Cheers

Howard

Thank you, Howard. To what terminals do the two leads attach - or is that obvious when the unit is removed from the bulkhead?

Hi Tony

Apologies I missed your request but here is a photo of the instruction sheet and diode from the Magneto guys.

Cheers

Howard

.jpeg   920DEC17-38F1-4153-ACBB-2E33F4CCE768.jpeg (Size: 107.22 KB / Downloads: 568)
(04-12-2021, 03:16 PM)Howard Wright Wrote:
(03-12-2021, 04:40 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote:

Cheers

Howard

Hi Tony

Apologies I missed your request but here is a photo of the instruction sheet and diode from the Magneto guys.

Cheers

Howard

Thank you, Howard. That is most kind and very helpful. I've ordered one.
Having obtained the diode unit, with the cutout "disabled" how is it connected to the unit? Black to +D and Red to A? Experienced advice sought...please.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi Tony

I’m using an earlier cut out with just two terminals so connection was easy. I’m not so familiar with Ruby cutouts but your black to D and red to A seems right.  But I’d wait for others to comment.

I used a couple of chocolate box connectors and avoided the original cut out completely!

Cheers

Howard