The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedants' Corner
Been there, done that...

[Image: 036ef5105c3ab14aee9ca3a54a71d102.jpg]
The word fraction does not mean small.

I'll leave it there

C
Are you well? I’m good thanks
Would you like a drink? I’m good thanks
I’d also love to know how to PREorder, PREbook, PREreserve, PREtin, and especially PREprepare
I just want to order, book, reserve, tin and prepare as all of these by their nature are done in advance so why the PREprefix?
(29-11-2021, 09:23 AM)Andy Bennett Wrote: Every time someone on the telly says 'less than 15', or anything specific, my wife shouts 'it's fewer than...'.
Same applies to the 'less than 10 items' queue, Only Waitrose seem to maintain standards with a 'fewer than 10 items' sign.

There is a long standing sign in Essex to Antique's. I do wonder if sometimes it is done on purpose to attract attention.

Andy

ps: how many others are now carefully checking through their post before pressing go...

Many years ago in a Sheffield Sainsbury's was a sign "Less than 10 Items". Below it the manager had written, "Yes, I know it's wrong. We are waiting for the new fewer sign".
Americanism to be sure but still....  Big Grin

Attached Files
.png   Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 8.09.59 PM.png (Size: 260.34 KB / Downloads: 155)
Sad 
I recently saw an advertisement for a car which the owner boasted had new break shoes.
Hi All

Am I the only one that feels a bit uneasy about this thread?  Maybe I’m too sensitive but it appears that poking fun at those individuals that haven’t had the opportunity of good education or may have dyslexia or do not have English as their mother tongue is not in the best of taste.

I’d prefer it if we could concentrate on Austin Seven matters.

Cheers

Howard
Reckless, as a colleague at Davy's used to say about management directives "It's just wrapping sh1t in moonbeams"
CAN and MAY.

I was graphically taught the distinction at the age of eleven. In a Latin class taken by our headmaster one boy, ( responding to a call of nature ) asked " Can I leave the room? "  " Yes. " the headmaster replied, but just as the boy was opening the door he was hit on the back of the head by the board-rubber propelled by the headmaster. ( remember this was the '50s ! ) " Where are YOU going? " he thundered. Much confusion by the boy who said he'd been given permission. " No, you hadn't ! " the head replied. " You asked whether you CAN leave the room; you can, you have legs, but you didn't ask as to whether you MAY leave. No, you cannot! " I forget whether the boy wet himself!!
Love it!

Howard, yes I think you are. This is all meant to be "tongue in cheek". However, I was taught that "Standards are not negotiable" - isn't that what being pedantic is all about?  

Get with the program (or is it programme?) as our colonial cousins across the pond would say, whilst remaining (of course) sympathetic to those less well off than ourselves, for example those that haven't got an Austin Seven.

Right, time I went (not got) out for a spell.