The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gold Mine? Old Jam Jars Full of Bits
(28-11-2021, 09:55 AM)Roger Goldthorpe Wrote:
(27-11-2021, 07:45 PM)JonE Wrote: absolutely John. So we need to silently put all "the disposed stuff" into a different room (or perhaps build a new extension) to allow sanity.

Back in the early 60s the practice I was with was responsible for a two-bedroom bungalow for retired clergy. The first ocupant was delighted to have a spare bedroom and I quote "to put in all the stuff I don't need".

Roger

A friend tells the story of Sydney, Nova Scotia buying a new Fire Truck. As the town council is meeting to decide what to do with the old one, a fella stands up and says: "I think we should keep it and use it for false alarms."
There was apparently a time when nothing was thrown away - every little tack and washer was preserved along with every spare bolt?  This is fine if you need only one or two of something - but there is never four or six of anything without 'making do'.  So my car sports a range of fasteners - nearly always the correct thread, but often a different shaped head or not quite the optimum length.  But this adds character?     
I see some pre war heads in that lot Colin. 

Most of my big whit fixings are now in proper plastic trays. My 'Seven' size fixings are all in random drawers, but it never takes long to find something. Particularly engine/gearbox or chassis. Usually OEM rather than new.
Now just multiply those jars and tins by barns!!!  Some with shelfs. Bob C...I too worry that a lot of things, many new, will get put in skip when I have gone.  We must get away from the modern "throw it away" society.....much greener for the planet.

I have always had the vision of sitting by the log fire in winter with container full of nuts/bolts and  sets of taps/dies and identifying and putting into appropriate containers.  Never seems to be the time or occasion.

Being of the post ww2 growing up era I too will not throw anything away, it is surprising what you can use some broken/rotten old bits for...e.g. that bath plughole brass fitting that is now fixed to Nippy radiator shell and with a small quick release cap for access to radiator. 

Dennis

BATH PLUGHOLE - Just in case you were wondering.
How it starts out removed from bath.

Flange bent to fit A7 cowl (gently with hammer). The threads for the nut that attaches to bath gives good surface for soldering on adapter ring for cap

Adaptor soldered on.

Plughole, adaptor (standard item from cap supplier) and Monza cap.  Yes the made in England stands out well after the chroming.

Trial fit before bending flange

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The things you can learn from this forum! I have got a short radiator shell that has been hanging on a wall in the garage for years. It has been butchered at the top, and I have often thought about a how to restore it. I have also got a bag of old brass/chrome plumbing fittings that should contain the bath plug hole fitting. Watch this space!!
Fabulous. Out of interest, are there any cap fittings which would utilise the thread on the bath fitting, Dennis?
I've just made up this for a rad cap, figuring that it was pointless trying to make it look like an original, it just needed some purchase ability. Made it tatty enough to hope that it doesnt get nicked, and stamped my postcode inside!    
Photo 
I don't think any of the caps would have a thread size the same as the plug but the adaptors are all standard easily available and not expensive......look at any website that sells the caps and they list details of sizes of caps and adaptors.
The bath plug outlet I used had just the right size flange to drill the fixing holes and fit over a standard size Nippy rad cowl hole.  At the back where the flange protruded slightly over where the bonnet fits the flange was sawn back till flush with edge of cowl step and clear of rubber surround.  It was the smallest size cap available and does look in proportion and as if original fit.
In case you are wondering why it was needed, I am using an Austin A35 (or was it A30) radiator core fixed to a flat steel frame which fixes to the bodywork ahead of cow-horns and also supplies stronger brackets to the cowl where the wing/headlight brackets bolt onto the cowl, with a flat strip also running from side to side so giving full support to the wings and no strain on the cowl....no more cowl splitting in future.  The radiator pressure cap sits close under the cowl opening and to add water I had to open bonnet and use watering can with a spout bent down on the end that just fitted under cowl.  Now just open bonnet, remove pressure cap and open Monza cap to fill from any container to hand.  That radiator has a metal plate surround that bends up nicely to fit to the mounting frame at the bottom and the wing stay bracket at the top....easy cheaper core renewal if required.

bottom bracket 

top wing stay bracket

Rad mounted in shell

mounted on car with flat bar between wing stay brackets