The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting Phoenix cranks into early engines...
Has anyone successfully modified a post forward facing starter motor flywheel to fit onto a phoenix shaft in an engine originally designed for an 1 1/8" crank?

I see the thickness and lack of cover plate register as possible stumbling blocks...
Do you mean converting a later rear facing flywheel to fit ?
Essentially - can the 4 speed flywheel be used with a 3 speed coverplate so that bacon-slicer and rear facing starters can still be used?

Thank you.
I had a 1-5/16" 4 speed gearbox flywheel modified to accept a 1929 clutch.
At the same time it was lightened by turning off the starter ring and reducing the diameter.
The gearbox side was then turned to accept the the 3-speed coverplate.
I can photograph it alongside a 1-1/8 flywheel.
I am not currently using this flywheel and you are welcome to borrow it if it would help.
Jim
Yes please - photos would be very useful initially, thanks Jim!
I'm sure I've seen an engine with 2 starter rings so it can be done.
I've done exactly this Ruairdh. Turn off the ring gear teeth and reduce the overall thickness of the flywheel to whatever the thickness of the earlier flywheel is (ignoring the upstand for the register on the earlier flywheel) by taking material off the rear facing 'edge'. It's not much but I can't remember how much exactly. You then end up with a flywheel that is identical, dimensionally, to the earlier version except that it has no register upstand. Given that the cover plate fixing holes are identical on both versions, that is of no relevance.

Sorry, can't do you a photo without an engine out job!!

Steve
Thank you all for the very useful help on here and in emails as well - the Forum at best!

I feel much more confident that I shall have a more plentiful supply of suitable flywheels in the future.
Lightened flywheel version.
Turn/grind off starter ring to 9.68" dia.
Machine .110" off cover plate side of flywheel.
Counterbore face 9.5"x .125" deep (location for cover)
Drill and tap 6 1/4" BSF holes deeper (So the cover plate bolts don't bottom out)
That is very helpful Dave - thank you.