The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sunset Seven
A trip to test the new LED headlamp bulbs. Click the images for better shadow detail.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

WOW, that's remarkable but I think the MOT man would want them pointing down rather than skywards.  Big Grin

Dennis
How do you find them Tony? and assuming you like them, where did you get them?

I've heard so many mixed reports over the years that I haven't bothered but they seem to e getting cheap enough now to be worth a try anyway.
(22-11-2021, 07:39 PM)Peter Naulls Wrote: How do you find them Tony? and assuming you like them, where did you get them?

I've heard so many mixed reports over the years that I haven't bothered but they seem to e getting cheap enough now to be worth a try anyway.

The Ruby headlamps have the original glasses - but reflectors that take an American type APF bulb in an ex-Honda motorcycle reflector from the Seven Workshop - though these appear not to be currently available.  

The LED bulbs come from: http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/online-shop-for-led-bulbs-and-light-boards-etc.ph and are coded "P15d-30APF (Not Austin Seven) FD2A"

I'm not sure what the company means by "Not Austin Seven with repro reflectors" as they work with mine - a clip from their website is below.

With normal bulbs in, dipped and main beam are separate, but the LED bulbs are connected so that dipped and main on together in the latter setting - the road then being well lit for Ruby speeds. As the lights are so bright - and the beam pattern nowhere near as tightly defined as on modern cars - care needs to be taken to angle the lamps correctly; to the left as well as down on dip.

It's important to ensure the reflectors are positioned correctly within the rims; don't just snap them in. An alignment dimple in the bulb holder sits in a cut-out in the reflector and, on dip, the lit bulb must shine vertically upwards. It is possible to clip the bulb holder in place while ignoring the dimple/cut-out position (the whole assembly is made of very flexible material) but best to get it right.

With all lights on including instrument LEDs ( the rear lights and front sidelights are standard), I still have a 2 to 3 amp charge.

I hope this helps.

Attached Files
.jpg   LEDBulbs1.jpg (Size: 91.47 KB / Downloads: 182)
.jpg   LEDBulbs2.jpg (Size: 41.2 KB / Downloads: 182)
My Ruby had LEDs put on for serious night time travelling and for night nav events. A great improvement in seeing where you are going on narrow lanes and when sharing main roads with other traffic, and equally valuable in needing so little of that electricity stuff. Drawing such a low amperage there is no problem with battery or dynamo for ten or twelve hours night driving. I think all my sources were those mentioned by Tony, recommended to all. The one caveat previously mentioned regarding LEDs has been the disapproval of a certain club for TR2 and Swallow Dorettis, but hey, we have PWA7C, Inter-Register and local club events so more than enough sport to enjoy.
Thank you Tony and Steve, very helpful.

My Ruby has never yet done a sporting event Steve, just keen to find my way home after work!
Safety has to come over originality with regards to lighting, I cant imagine in todays world anyone would think differently...  the times I curse a cyclist for not having decent lights or reflective clothing...
At night, in our area, walkers who matt-black clothes are a problem. With nothing to reflect, even the scenery-melting xenon lights on the modern struggle to light them up. One learns to exercise extra caution at twilight and in the early darkness as they make their way back to their cars.