The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sagging rear springs
The rear springs on our trials special are looking very tired. With the rear of the car too low, the tyres sometimes rub on the wings and the attitude of the car is wrong.
It would be preferable to retain what we believe to be the original springs and have them reset. Does anyone have experience of doing this or should we just get some new ones made?
What is the collective view please?
Thanks
Alan
Smile 
It would probably depend on the amount of wear at the end of each leaf where it rubs on the one below.  Cost would come into the equation comparing new to having a reset.
I found not too bad a wear so ground/polished the ends rounded, vertically from underneath with angle grinder and disks, so would ride over very slight wear trough marks.
totally dismantled springs and polished leafs, painted (POR15), greased (better not say what with but begins with A   Dodgy), re-assembled and set sideways movement preventers.  The eyes may or may not be found to take the bushes for the pins?

Dennis
Thanks for your thoughts Dennis, but did you have the curvature reset too?
Alan
No, mine were still ok in-spite of thousands of miles including MCC trials.
No problem having the springs reset Alan, just remember they will settle slightly in use so it is wise to allow for this, I would say about an inch from my personal experience.
Black Art Enthusiast
Hi.
I had the rear springs on my Pearl reset by ML (UK) Ltd (7 Kettering Terrace, Mile End,Portsmouth, PO2 7QH www.mluk.co.uk). Good job at reasonable price (much cheaper than new springs) and they understand Austin Sevens!
Good luck.
Ian and Martin,

Thank you both very much for your advice.

Regards Alan
I shall have new high frame rear springs,bushed and reamed,back in stock tomorrow if required.